Chapter 25: Power Struggle

oOo

They rode on a wave of happiness for a little while, the winning feeling of beating Umbridge almost made Veronica and the Trio forget about the war they were facing against the Ministry. 

Of course, the feeling didn't last forever, as more and more Educational Decree's were announced, giving Umbridge more power over Hogwarts than ever before. 

One example of this power was demonstrated in early spring, and in the middle of the day Veronica was walking through the entrance hall and noticed a huge crowd of students gathered near the doorway to the courtyard. So she pushed her way through a couple of people to see if she could catch a glimpse of what was so interesting, but her view was still blocked due to her tiny frame. 

She was suddenly dragged by her elbow towards almost the very front of the crowd of students and saw it was just Harry who had noticed her struggling on tiptoes, and so he placed her right in front of him and rested his hands comfortably on her shoulders as they watched. 

Trelawney was stood hunched in the middle of the courtyard sobbing and crying, luggage and bags sprawled around her haphazardly. Once Veronica caught sight of the pink she-devil standing there with a smug grin on her face, she felt a certain rage, that she reserved just for Umbridge, rise up. 

"What does she think she's doing!" Veronica angrily muttered loudly to Harry, and a few people around them heard and nodded along with her rage. Harry bent down slightly and placed his face into her hair, his lips right next to her ear and replies "she's trying to kick her out of Hogwarts". 

Veronica was frozen at first, the feeling of his warm breath hitting her ear and neck sending shivers up her spine. Harry didn't move from that position at first, despite having nothing else to say and she wasn't complaining. 

Trelawney's stuttering broke her out of her trance and her anger quickly returned, toning her thoughts and awareness of Harry's presence down somewhat. 

"She can't do that can she?!?" she exclaimed, and apparently Trelawney asked the same thing, as Umbridge had held up a sheet of parchment with a new Decree written on it basically claiming that she could do what she wanted. 

Veronica was almost shaking with anger at this point and imagined storming over there and ripping up that document held in Umbridge's chunky fingers.  She just wanted this to stop. 

Luckily, the students on the other side of the courtyard were shuffling out of the way and Professor McGonagall jogged over towards Trelawney, stopping next to the sobbing woman, placing a hand round her shoulders in comfort. 

The Transfiguration teacher and DADA teacher threw comments at each other for a few minutes, the students around them on edge as they knew how angry both of them could get, waiting for an outburst of insults or a fight to emerge. Veronica knew if this were to happen that McGonagall was much more advanced in duelling and could easily win. 

Before that happened, much to most people's disappointment, the doors from the entrance hall swung open and Dumbledore strode outside with a determined look on his face. Apparently, he had found a loophole in the new Decree and even though Trelawney had lost her job, she was still allowed to stay at Hogwarts. 

The woman started crying heavily once he said that, but this time in relief and as McGonagall escorted her back inside, she stopped at Dumbledore's side thanking him profusely, her eyes lit up in gratitude. Veronica wanted to give the woman a hug, her body had also sagged against Harry's in relief as despite the confrontation she shared with her Divination Professor before, she would never want to see her gone, or for Umbridge to get her way. 

Harry and Veronica watched as the conversation continued between Umbridge and Dumbledore, pleased as the pink-clad lady's smug smile fell from her face. Dumbledore had found another teacher for Divination already, throwing out the Ministry's clear plan of sending someone else. 

They were even happier, and intrigued when they found their new Divination teacher was a centaur called Firenze - Harry told her his name as well as the fact that he'd met the centaur before. Umbridge was now completely frowning in disgust as she realised a non-human breed will be teaching at Hogwarts. 

The students quickly dispersed once all the teachers had left the courtyard, and Harry had suddenly let go of Veronica to chase after the Headmaster, forgetting to say goodbye. 

She watched him leave, his quick departure from behind her making her feel cold, his warmth from his arms and hands wrapped around her had left with him. 

oOo

As it turns out, Firenze was quite good at Divination, this is probably because centaurs are known for their seeing abilities and navigating their lives around the stars. 

Their first lesson with him was quite refreshing, as he had a classroom on the ground floor and it had been transformed into an open piece of land surrounded by trees, with fresh green grass spread across the ground. Compared to Trelawney's stuffy and overheated classroom stuck in the top of the tower, it was relaxing and it seemed Veronica wasn't the only one to think so as she had overheard many people compliment their new Divination teacher. 

Harry had learnt that Firenze had been excluded from his colony of centaurs shortly after agreeing to work at Hogwarts. Apparently, centaurs saw working for humans as a betrayal of their kind. With Hagrid and Dumbledore's help, he had escaped from the colony that lived deep in the Forbidden Forest and now resided in the castle.  

Veronica felt sorry for the centaur, as she knew what it felt like to be excluded from others in the first few years of her life at Hogwarts. She also decided that perhaps Firenze could be the one to give her answers about her dreams and so shortly after their lesson one day she stayed behind, Harry joining her due to their last conversation about her meeting with Trelawney. 

Firenze saw the two students standing there and with a knowing look in his eyes, wandered towards them, warmly greeting them, "Hello Harry Potter, Veronica Green how may I help you?". 

"Sir, I was just wondering if you could give me some information about dreams I've had in the past", Veronica began telling him about what had happened during the Triwizard Tournament as well as the few events of this year but was interrupted before she could finish. 

Firenze was chuckling lightly, "Oh young one, you worry too much". She sent him a questioning look and he continued "the seeing eye can be more complex than anyone could understand, even a seer such as Sybill Trelawney" he was referencing the Professor's previous outburst which Veronica had told him about. 

"What do I do to stop them, sir?" she asked, but this made the amused look die down in his eyes as he made more serious eye contact with her. "You should never force the eye away. Embrace the gift, it'll help you become stronger. If you ignore the forces within, the outcome will be disastrous". 

This made her gulp nervously as Harry shuffled his feet next to her, standing a little closer than he was before. "B-But Professor Trelawney said I was tainted - that the eye was... corrupted?" she stuttered. 

"The eye works in many ways, some pleasant, others not so much. If you are seeing things, it is because you were supposed to. Not all magic will be welcoming to those that don't understand it. Don't let that cloud your own eye." He spoke with an air of expertise, making Veronica trust his words as she nodded along. 

"You must be going now, Veronica Green and Harry Potter. I have to see Dumbledore" he ended their conversation, sending them away. They looked at each other while leaving, having a conversation with their eyes. 

"Oh and Veronica Green?" She turned back around. "The eye is a gift not many possess, nor control. You should feel proud of that accomplishment," she smiled cautiously in response and left the room heading towards the Great Hall, Harry in tow. 

oOo