Chapter 30: The Ministry of Magic

oOo

Once they arrived outside the Ministry, Veronica quickly jumped off of the Thestral, sighing in relief as soon as her feet touched the ground. As comfortable as it was to have her arms wrapped around Harry the whole way there, her stomach was still churning over the feeling of flying on an invisible creature. 

Everyone seemed to feel a similar way to her and they were all soon crowded around a red telephone box, which Harry called the 'visitors entrance' that he went through during his trial last summer. 

They piled into the box, painfully squashed up next to each other. Veronica had her front pressed up against the side of the box and so had no idea what was going on behind her, the view of the street outside was the only thing she could see. 

"Whoever is close to the numbers, press 62442" Harry's voice shouts from right beside her ear, making her jump in fright, not expecting him to be so close even though she could feel his body against hers. 

The box descended slowly and Veronica became more and more aware of Harry's presence behind her, especially after he rested his hands on her waist to catch himself from stumbling as the door opened and they started to pour out. They were the last to exit the box and both their faces were lit bright red. 

Harry's focus soon went back to the mission as he managed to guide the whole group down a series of empty corridors and taking the lift a few floors to places that he's never visited in person before but has plagued his dreams all year. He was so confident that he knew the way that no one questioned him and followed behind in a rushed silence. 

As they reached the Department of Mysteries, Veronica started to recognise the corridor they were going down, as she had witnessed it once before in her vision about Mr Weasley. 

She also had piqued interest in the department as she had never been before but knew her father came every day for a job he wasn't allowed to share. The black tiled walls and floors were eerily dark, with no windows and hardly any lights making the entire place shadowed and mysterious. 

A few more of them were also looking around interested in what the ministry could be hiding down in this department but Harry had no such plans. If anything, he had sped up heading towards the door at the end of the corridor that looked extremely important with gold and silver ornaments decorating it. 

They entered through the door and found themselves in a circular room with doors surrounding them from every direction. As soon as the door behind them closed, the room started rotating, making it impossible to recognise where they'd already been. 

It took a few tries for them to finally reach the room Harry believed Sirius to be in, coming across various interesting rooms along the way full of large jelly brains, an entire copy of the solar system and even a room dedicated to clocks and watches. 

The room that they finally entered into was by far the most interesting to Veronica. Rows and rows of shelves piled higher than she could see filled the seemingly never-ending long hall. These shelves were filled with glowing white orbs, all containing a secretive mist and let off different auras and sounds to Veronica as she walked by them. 

It was strangely quiet considering there was an apparent torture taking place, and this was one of the first signs Veronica should have taken into account that it was a trap and they were in fact, in terrible danger. 

Too absorbed in trying to read and understand the noises and sounds that vaguely resembled hushed words coming from the surrounding spheres, Veronica had almost failed to notice they had stopped their pursuit of the raven-haired boy. 

"I don't understand, he's supposed to be right here?!" Harry muttered confused and slightly frustrated that he still couldn't find his Godfather. 

The dread filled everyone as the minutes ticked by, frantically looking around to see if they missed something, like a body or a sign that someone was there before them, but the room was empty, or so they thought. 

Veronica noticed a particular orb was glowing brighter than the others ones and took a step forward to try and make out what was echoing out of that particular sphere. It was only when she read Harry's name on the plaque underneath it that she called out to the boy, making him move next to her and reach out to pick it up. 

Before any of them could decipher what the orbs were for, they were distracted by slow footsteps tracing around them as a dark figure appeared in front of them, appearing out of the shadows, making the group of students shuffle closer to each other and raise their wands in defence. 

The man revealed himself as Lucius Malfoy and he began to mock Harry for falling into the trap they set in place. 

As Malfoy spoke, more and more hooded figures appeared, surrounding the group causing them to all face different directions, keeping an eye on the people around them. 

Veronica was still barely focusing on what was being said, the voices echoing from the orbs around her getting louder, as if they now knew she was there and were trying to get her attention. A high pitched laugh screeched through the air as a woman stepped towards them next to Malfoy. 

She had messy untamed black hair curling around her face and down her back. The ripped black dress and robes she had on were draping along the floor, the leather-clad feet poking out of the bottom every time she took a step forward. 

The wild look in the woman's eyes terrified Veronica, and Neville as well it seemed as he stepped forward in fear and anger. 

The woman, Bellatrix Lestrange as Neville addressed her as, laughed once again, looking among them with her nose in the air and a pinched expression on her face. Her eyes landed on Veronica and a look of recognition lit up on her face as she gave a smug grin towards the girl. 

Harry noticed this look and cautiously stepped in Bellatrix's line of sight raising his wand higher in warning, which only made the insane woman more amused as she stared at the teens in front of her. 

It soon became clear that the Death Eaters were there for the object that Harry now held in his hand, the prophecy, they called it, and that it seemed to be a major part of You-Know-Who's plans for the future. 

The conversation became more deadly, the longer Harry held onto the prophecy the more uptight Malfoy became, dropping his faux politeness. Not even the thought of finally getting answers to the connection between Harry and You-Know-Who was convincing the boy to hand it over. 

Veronica was about to drift back into listening to the orbs that were loudly calling out to her, which no one else seemed to hear when Harry leant back and whispered to the group to get ready to run, and her body filled with adrenaline as she focused back onto death eaters. 

The boy gripped Veronica's hand tightly, and she saw this as a preparatory warning. With a final glare at Malfoy and Bellatrix, Harry took a deep breath and on the count of three let out a large yell, "NOW!"

oOo