Chapter 54: Surrender

I'm here again, if there's anyone still reading I apologise for the delay. I have so many ideas for this book but almost reluctant to want to write them. 

My fault completely, enjoy the chapter x

oOo

Veronica didn't know what to think as her feet carried her away from the Hospital Wing, thoughts were running through her mind so rapidly she couldn't focus on anything. The blood pumping round her head was so loud she couldn't hear much else. 

The two people she had learned to put her trust in, the ones she promised herself she was helping, despite her inner saboteur trying to convince her otherwise, had viciously attacked each other. 

She sunk to the floor her head between her knees to press up against her ears, unable to cope with the noise in her mind. 

Draco wasn't innocent, she was well informed on that matter - both from listening to her boyfriend's accusations and talking to the Slytherin herself. 

However, she has also seen the blond boy tear himself apart on the inside for the crimes he's being forced to commit by a man too cowardly to do it on his own. 

That mark on his arm was there for life, and it weighed him down both mentally and physically. Veronica doesn't think she's seen him eat a whole meal in the months that she's been watching over him and it worried her. 

On the other hand, these are people who have ruined Harry's life. That poor boy had to sit there and watch so many loved ones be ripped out of his life. And she was there to witness the aftermath of many of these losses. 

Veronica struggled to count the number of times shes held Harry as he cried, promised him she'd never leave him, calming his deepest fears. 

As her thoughts drifted to the boy she loved more than anything in her life, she could see a shadow of a figure crouch down beside her, a warm hand resting on her back. 

Squinting through blurry eyes, she barely recognised Ginny, not even realising the girl had been calling her name for the past few minutes. 

Ginny holds out her other hand for Veronica to hold, the Hufflepuff firmly grasping it as she attempts to stand on her unstable legs to look around. 

She had collapsed in a very familiar hallway, the one between the Room of Requirement and the Gryffindor common room, the irony of that not lost on her she thinks as Ginny fills her in on whats going on. 

"Harry, Hermione and Ron are being very secretive right now," she explains, carefully watching Veronica's expressions, "but if the pacing and the angry whispers are anything to go on and finding you out here, I'd say Harry's done something bad again." She stated and didn't question, not surprised anymore. 

oOo

Once they'd stepped through the portrait, Veronica sees just what Ginny was saying. 

Hermione was very tense, standing upright in front of the boys, her brow furrowed as she watches Harry with disappointed eyes. 

Ron looked dumbstruck and was glancing between Harry and Hermione, slouching as always, but the erratic glances gave away his anxiousness. 

Finally, Veronica's eyes followed where everyone was already looking, the boy that was walking up and down the common room but abruptly stopped when the two girls caught his eye. Harry was by far the most frazzled, his hair messier than usual and his face an ashen grey. 

When he and Veronica made eye contact, he straightened his back and looked to her with pleading eyes, silently ushering her to walk over to him. 

She took small and cautious steps towards him, her eyes lingering on the others before connecting with Harry's and not looking away, her body tensing with frustration at the boy in front of her.