Chapter 39: Horror in Hogsmeade

oOo

She was excited to be going to Hogsmeade after a long month of difficult work at Hogwarts. Early that morning Veronica found herself waiting outside in the courtyard for the Golden Trio, talking to Ernie while she waited. 

The two Hufflepuffs stood against the wall watching as Filch religiously scanned each student leaving the grounds. Ernie turned to her and whispered sarcastically "Why would people be sneaking things out, surely he should just scan them once they return?". Veronica laughed in response. 

Finally, she noticed the Golden Trio walking towards them, Hermione seemed to be scolding Harry as he and Ron speed up their steps to get away from her quicker. 

Harry took her hand and dragged her with them. "What have you done now?" she questions, smiling slightly at the guilty look on the boy's face. Ron quickly filled her in on the events of that morning. Harry was reading the Prince's book again and cast a spell which levitated Ron by his ankles. Hermione was fuming, arguing that even though Ron wasn't hurt, it could've been a lot worse. 

Veronica was sure that part of the reason Hermione was so angry wasn't that of Harry reading the Prince's book, but because Harry was now the best in their Potions class overshadowing her, and Ron was supporting him. 

They passed by Filch with little suspicion from the man, although he did a thorough search nevertheless staring at them with his beady eyes. 

While on the carriage into town, Veronica began to feel a splitting headache cut through her, banging on her skull painfully. She gripped Harry's hand harder than before, attracting his attention as he watched her grit her teeth. 

Flashed passed through her mind of a girl screaming and hovering in the air before collapsing to the ground seizuring. 

She furrowed her brow, trying to concentrate on where she'd seen the girl before when more images flooded in of the same girl coming out of the toilets of the Three Broomsticks holding a tightly wrapped brown package. 

Harry's voice drove her from the visions, asking her if she was alright. Veronica was barely listening to him as he whispered in her ear keeping his concern low-key from the others. She nodded to his question, the headache slowly diminishing the more she focused on his breathing next to her and the warmth she felt from his hand on hers. 

Smiling at his concern, she tried to ignore the pull she felt towards the pub as they pulled into Hogsmeade, but the images wouldn't leave her mind. 

Luckily for her, Harry quickly asked if they could get a drink, as he saw Slughorn enter the Three Broomsticks moments ago. Apparently, Dumbledore wants Harry to get closer to the Potions Master, develop a relationship for future use, which Veronica must admit angered her as she got the impression that their Headmaster was taking advantage of Harry's status for his own use.

oOo

By the time they'd gotten their drinks and found a table to sit at, Veronica had almost forgotten about what she'd seen back in the carriages. 

Ron had turned sour all of a sudden, throwing dirty looks over her and Harry's shoulder towards Ginny and Dean who seemed to be enjoying their little date in the corner of the room. 

"Honestly Ron if she looked over here and saw you and me snogging would you expect her to leave?!" Hermione exclaimed, reminding Veronica of the talk she had to have with the Gryffindor over her feelings for their ginger friend.

Veronica and Harry exchange smirks as the table fell into an awkward silence, both Hermione and Ron blushing and avoiding eye contact with each other as the mental image of them snogging entered their minds.