Chapter 38: Official?

oOo

Over the next few weeks, classes became more tricky with teachers insistent on students practising spells non-verbally. 

Even though Veronica was finding the classwork challenging, she had never felt more normal. For once, she didn't have any immediate danger to stress over and could relax slightly and spend more time with her friends. That's how she found herself heading down to the Quidditch Pitch one weekend to watch the Gryffindor Quidditch Team's trials. 

The stands were packed and there were members of all houses sitting along the sidelines. She never knew this sport was so popular, especially considering the number of people here who should be supporting other teams. 

Apparently, the turnout was a record number as Harry also expressed his surprise at the crowded pitch. People had begun to notice that he had turned up and murmurs and whispers travelled around the stands. 

"I didn't realise the Gryffindor team was so famous, you have many fans here," commented Veronica casually, eyeing up the girls who were waving, trying to get Harry's attention. 

The boy was oblivious to the attention he was receiving, and he turned to face her and Hermione, who was standing a few paces behind him and shrugged in response, "I've always found Quidditch enjoyable, maybe it's becoming more popular now". 

Hermione scoffed at the boy's fickle behaviour, " it's not Quidditch that's popular Harry, it's you! You've never been more interesting, and frankly you've never been more fanciable!' she exclaims. Harry looked at her in disbelief, Ron overhearing her say this developed a defensive nature. 

Veronica nodded towards Harry "I agree," her quiet voice breaking him out of his staring match with Hermione. "It doesn't hurt that you've grown a foot over the summer" the Hufflepuff continued, raking her gaze up and down his figure. 

The boy flushed but a happy grin appeared in his face at her obvious approval of his body and looks. He pecked her on the cheek in response, both of them tuning out Ron's complaining as the ginger claims that he's "also tall". 

The two girls walked towards the stands so that the tryouts could officially begin, sitting with Hannah who had waved them over to desperately save her from the herd of girls giggling about Harry. The group shut up when they saw them coming, eyeing up Veronica as she sat next to Hannah to watch the trials, and they stayed quiet the entire time. 

oOo

After the tryouts had finished, the Golden Trio wanted to visit Hagrid, the half-giant had been ignoring them because he was upset they didn't take his class. Veronica had some homework she wanted to catch up on in the Library and so wished them good luck and took off.

She was sitting in the Library trying to go over her Potions essay, a challenge to say the least, but her mind was still trying to process Hermione using a Confundus Charm on McGlaggen during the tryouts in order for Ron to get the Keeper position. The girl had it bad that was for sure, the Gryffindor wouldn't break school and magical laws for anybody. 

A cough drew her out of her thoughts. She rose her head from where it was staring at her pages and noticed a girl she'd never seen before had taken the seat opposite her. The girl was sitting straight-backed and confident, a couple of other girls peeking out at them from behind a bookshelf. 

"Uh, hello?" said Veronica, unable to pinpoint why the girl had sat with her. "Hi are you Veronica Green?" she questioned, and following the answering nod, her eyes lit up with a greedy selfish ambition.

"So are you really dating Harry Potter? Or is the relationship fake?" she demands, shocking the Hufflepuff at the forward tone of the questions. 

"Why would it be fake?" Veronica was extremely confused as to why the girl even wanted to know, the girls behind the bookshelves leaning in to listen to her answers. 

"Y'know to get attention, because now that he's all famous you suddenly want to be around him? What's your issue?" the girl's voice was getting increasingly loud and upfront, as if she had a reason to be angry at Veronica. 

The Hufflepuff just sat there, shrinking down in her chair as the girl continued to ridicule and shame her for something she hasn't even done. The girl leant forward to deliver her final blow, dragging the essay forwards, tearing the page, as she got into Veronica's face and whispered threateningly "Just leave him alone". 

"No. Why don't you leave her alone!" A voice comes from behind the girl, who went from angry to shock as she noticed Hermione storm over followed by Harry. As soon as the girl saw Harry she started to smile bashfully at him, twirling her hair as giggles came from behind the shelves. The Gryffindors didn't pay attention to that though, the boy too focused on the tears filling up Veronica's eyes. 

Harry shook his head at the girl, who was trying to get him to look at her and dragged Veronica away from the Library, leaving Hermione in charge of the girls and the Prefect began to scold them on bullying and offered up detention for what she just witnessed. 

The two walked for what felt like forever, Harry took them outside and on a bench in the corner of the courtyard before finally settling down in the seat. 

Veronica sat still, eyes following Harry who was pacing in front of her as he gathered his thoughts in his head, trying to voice how he was feeling. 

"I-I don't like seeing you upset," he stutters, sighing between his words, "It - frustrates me". The boy seemed to be struggling to get the words out, holding back his feelings so he didn't frighten the girl. 

"Harry-" he interrupted her before she could continue talking with the strained and worn-out tone of voice "-no Veronica, listen for a second". 

She remained quiet watching him with careful eyes. "I don't want people to treat you like that. Hermione came to get me after she heard what that girl was saying to you" he kneeled down and gripped her hand, making intense eye contact. "I care about you too much to let people get away with that".  

After wiping away her tears she whispers softly "I care about you too. A lot. It scares me", Veronica felt vulnerable after admitting that and could barely look at him in nerves. 

He cupped her cheek and raised her head to maintain their previous eye contact. "It doesn't have to be scary. It's exciting!" Smiling gently at her, he leaned in "Veronica, will you be my girlfriend, officially?"

Giggling at the goofy grin on his face, although she wasn't much calmer, she nodded enthusiastically "As if that's even a question, of course, I will!" 

Harry laughed joyfully before getting serious again quickly, "you'll let me know if they bother you again right? If anyone bothers you?" and relaxed once she nodded, kissing him on the cheek as a natural response. 

And with that the couple spent the rest of the day together, Harry letting her know about their talk with Hagrid and Veronica listening and giving him advice on the private lessons with Dumbledore. They were cuddled in each other's arms in the Gryffindor common room by the fire and finally drifted off to sleep, ignoring the whispers and gossip from around them. 

oOo