Chapter 1: Carlisle

"Must we go?" Anya whispered softly. Ezra paused at the question and released a sigh,

"I must go. Do not trouble yourself to follow flower." Furrowing her lush brows, Anya moved toward Ezra as he shrugged on his thick winter coat. Anya bit her lip as she stated her troubled thoughts,

"I...I do not wish for you to leave. I don't understand why you are helping a strange man in a war that is not yours." At this, Ezra turned toward the small figure behind him.

Gazing down at the petite teen, he offered a rare smile.

"Carlisle is the man who showed me I could be more than a monster in this life. Without him I would not have you, I owe him a great debt."

Anya frowned in confusion, "I do not understand..."

Turning his gaze to the cabin's frosted window, Ezra made no motion to respond. Frustrated, Anya continued.

"You saved my life of your own accord. There was no other man with you that night, how could he be responsible for..." Anya paused as a low chuckle was emitted from Ezra.

"Carlisle is the man who showed me my way of life," Ezra spoke. "He showed me how to live off of the animals, how to resist the sweet temptation that runs through your veins."

Turning towards the door, Ezra continued, "Without Carlisle I would have drained you the second I smelled your decadent blood. Carlisle is the reason I was able to take you in and raise you as my own, Anya."

After a slight pause, Ezra shifted forward.

"I have gathered enough supplies to last you through the winter. You needn't leave the cabin..." Ezra trailed off as he looked toward Anya, who was now wrestling with an oversized coat.

Chuckling, he adjusted the garment on her frame. Sighing in relief, Anya peered up at the man who had raised her.

"Then I owe Carlisle a great deal as well...Father," She spoke with a smile.

Chapter one is complete! The next chapters are much longer. Thank you for reading my story.