Chapter 2: Red

The snow was far more forgiving in Washington than what Anya was accustomed to. Giggling with glee, she spun in circles as the snowflakes trickled down around her.

"Come flower," Ezra spoke as he appeared along the tree line.

Pouting, Anya released a huff. A smile quickly followed, however, as she rushed to embrace the stoic vampire. Wrapping her delicate arms around her father with excitement, she placed her chin upon his abdomen and gazed up with child-like wonder.

"Will I meet Carlisle today?" She questioned.

Ezra nodded and with a slight tug, Anya was swung onto his back. As they raced through the forest, excited squeals of joy could be heard.

"Father, why did we stop?" Anya questioned as she gazed around in confusion.

Ezra paused before placing his daughter onto her own feet. Turning towards her, his face was serious.

"Before we go any further, you must know that not all vampires have kind intentions," Ezra spoke.

"Yes, father. You have told me before," Anya responded with a smile.

"And what is it that I have told you Anya?" Ezra questioned.

"That not all vampires mean to cause no harm and that I should be cautious," Anya answered confidently. With a pause, Ezra observed his daughter.

"You will speak to no one who bears red eyes," Ezra instructed.

Anya nodded, but her gaze quickly flew to her father as the sentence registered with her,

"Red...eyes?"

Ezra held his daughter's gaze as he spoke, "Yes, Anya. Red eyes. Not everyone you will meet shares my diet."

"You...You mean they eat..." Anya faltered at the thought of finishing her sentence.

"Humans, just like you," Ezra finished.

Cupping his daughter's frightened face, he continued,

"To those bearing red eyes, you are just another meal. Do not speak to them. Do not engage with them. Do not so much as look at them," Ezra directed.

A slight tremor ran through Anya and after a moment, she nodded. Ezra released her heart shaped face and ruffled her hair affectionately.

Ezra tugged her dainty hand as he spoke, "Come now flower, let us walk so that you may enjoy the scenery."

Nodding her head, Anya followed her father through the thickening snow. The forest was something that would normally fascinate the young teen, but her mind was else ware. Red eyes. A thought that plagued her mind.

With a gentle tug, Ezra offered his daughter a slight smile as they approached the forest's edge. Gazing at her father's face, Anya relaxed. No harm would come to her as long as Ezra was present. This had been true for as long as she knew him and it would remain true during their time in Forks.

As they crossed into an open area, Anya stared at the large home before her with awe. Distracted by the beautiful home, she overlooked the various figures lounging around the grounds. The vampires surrounding the area turned towards the newest guests with interest.

"Ezra! Wonderful to see you my friend," Carlisle spoke as he approached the duo.

Releasing Anya's hand, Ezra moved forward.

"Yes, however, I would have preferred our meeting to be under better circumstances," Ezra spoke as he embraced his old friend.

Chuckling, Carlisle spoke,