Chapter 5: Eyes

Anya moved forward as her new friends disappeared from sight. Stopping her pursuit, Anya chided herself.

"Hidden," She thought. "I will be of no help out there."

Throwing a grimace towards her traitorous feet, Anya turned to the forest that surrounded her. Barren and bleak. She would venture to say it was boring given the circumstances. Settling behind a fallen tree, Anya release a defeated sigh.

"Be safe," Anya thought as her gaze followed a twinkling snowflake. Reaching forward, it settled on her fingertip briefly before dissolving. Smiling, Anya reached both hands out. She watched as tiny ice crystals danced elegantly across her palms before melting away.

"Beautiful, yet fleeting," She thought.

A shuffle in the snow drew the young teen from her thoughts. Glancing upwards she soon locked her gaze on two figures. Her eyes widened in disbelief as she took in their attire. The first figure was that of a shirtless man. He dawned only a pair of strange foreign shorts she had never seen before. Shifting her gaze, she observed the woman beside him. She was dressed in a flowing dress that seemed better suited for a hot summer day. Their odd attire distressed Anya.

"They will surely catch death in this weather," Anya worried.

Biting her lip, Anya glanced at the large coat she dawned before flicking her gaze towards the figures again. Gripping the oversized sleeves anxiously, Anya had made her decision.

With a quick glance at the tree line, Anya cautiously stood. In that moment, the cool winter air tickled her curls. The tendrils covered her vision for only a moment, but it was enough for her to lose track of the pair.

"Where did they go?" She questioned.

With her head on a swivel, Anya approached the direction that had once held the oddly dressed duo. Reaching their tracks, Anya's breath caught.

"No," She whispered in realization. They were traveling towards the clearing. Which meant they were heading to their certain death if she did not act fast.

Whipping around, Anya did not think as she rushed towards the tree line in hopes of catching the pair before they were seen. Reaching the final layer of trees, she came to an abrupt stop. Panting, her eyes focused on the two humans as they trailed between the large mass of vampires. Fear gripped her heart as her fingers gripped the bark of a nearby tree. Anxiously, she watched as they approached the Cullen's adversaries.

"I have been searching for witnesses of my own," Alice spoke as she gestured to the pair.

"Witnesses?" Anya whispered in confusion as she peered from behind her tree.

"I am half human, half vampire," The male spoke.

Freezing, Anya chided herself, "I'm an imbecile."

As if hearing her thoughts, Edward's body shifted towards the tree line. Briefly, their gazes met. In that moment, the message was clear, "Do not move."

An unfamiliar man drew Anya's gaze as he spoke, "We will not fight today."

At that, the individuals dawning dark robes began to disperse. Releasing a smile, Anya leaned to rest against the tree. Instead of the rough tree bark greeting her back, she stumbled and was met with wet snow. Flickering up, her eyes met another's. Ocean blue clashed with ruby red. Anya froze instantly. Red eyes pierced through her as the question was posed, "Now who is this?"