CHAPTER 32 - Capture

Chaos breaks out all across the campsite. People weave in between others as they hurry away, some falling and getting trampled by the mass of running people, choking out for help. The sun has slipped below the horizon line, the sky now a dark navy. 

"(y/n), get out of here," Newt orders. "I'll find the others, just get as far away as possible."

"No, Newt, I'm not leaving anyone," I retort firmly, my hands clenched together in fists.

"(y/n)! Please, what did I just tell you?!" he argues.

"I don't care!" I snap, angry tears building in my eyes. "I'm not going to leave you! If something happened to you, I could never  forgive myself. Could you do it, if it was me?"

Newt clenches his jaw tensely. His eyes linger on mine, before falling to the floor as his jaw untenses. "Alright. Let's just find the others, quickly."

We get swallowed amongst the massive swarm of people, bodies shoving us from side to side as we search for our friends. We reach Brenda's tent, but when we open it she's not there, nor is anyone else. We hear a massive commotion coming from outside, screams breaking through the air as loud bangs explode from around us. 

"What's going on?"  I yell over the noise. We step out of the tent, and the first thing I see is a man thrashing on the ground, his body engulfed in flames. The Bergs are firing bombs onto the ground and shooting bullets from above, the crowd of people getting smaller each second. 

"It's madness, we'll never find them!" I shout. Newt nods fearfully, looking to the Bergs in the dark sky. 

"(Y/N)! NEWT!"

Minho and Fry run towards us, dodging the bullets being fired from the sky. We all run behind the tent, and find an overturned van to hide behind. The noises of explosions, bullets and horrific screams makes me feel like my ear drums are about to explode.

"We need to find Thomas!" Minho yells. "Where was he last?"

"He was with Teresa!" I reply. "On that cliff, but he won't be there anymore!" 

"I think I saw Vince pass us when we were finding you, maybe he knows!" Fry shouts. 

We carefully peer over the van. Walking between the bodies lying slumped on the ground is about fifty men, all dressed in black soldier uniforms and holding massive guns with masks covering their faces. I look around the destructed camp, and I see Vince standing on top of a truck with a machine gun, Harriet and Sonya hastily packing things away into the van. 

Minho sprints over to the van, so we all follow him, trying to stay low to avoid the gunfire. "Hey, kid!" Vince shouts to Minho. "Know how to shoot this thing?" 

Minho takes the gun from him and reloads it with a confident grin, as if he was born for this moment. Newt grabs a gun from the truck and aims it towards an oncoming WICKED soldier, shooting him in the leg while me and Fry grab pistols. Vince is tackling with a larger gun, fumbling around with the huge bullets as the soldiers continue to advance towards us. 

"Vince, hurry up! There's too many of them!" Newt screams. 

I hear an ominous beeping noise getting closer, and see a small canister flying through the air towards the truck. The beeping gets louder and quicker, and turns a blue light. 

Vince widens his eyes. "Oh, sh–"

Bolts of blue electricity radiates from the canister, latching onto my body. Not just mine - everyone's bodies are covered in the same blue lightning bolts. I fall to the floor with a grunt, letting out a long scream as the electricity floods through every vein in my body, burning in my bones. I can't move a muscle, the pain feels too overpowering.  The soldiers begin to swarm around us, grabbing our arms and legs and hoisting us into the air.