Forty-Four

"So, tell us again what exactly  happened after you and Danny got us to surrender?" Asked a woman who had greying blonde hair, she seemed to be in her mid-fifties, she was lean and angry and the young woman didn't like that.

Amberle frowned, the girl was uncomfy, she was groggy, her eyes darted back and forth between the detective and her partner, her nerves were getting the better of her at this point. They made her feel like a criminal although she probably was in their eyes— she gave her statement about what happened already and honestly she didn't want to go over it again.

"I've told you guys this before, why do I have to say it again?"

"Well, we just need you to, we hope you understand." Said the younger detective and Amberle frowned.

"You mean to see if I change my story, is that it?" She knew they could tell she was annoyed just from the look on her face. Amberle crossed her arms tightly in front of her chest. So they thought she was lying?

"It's more like a confirmation rather than to detect if you were lying but please forgive us but judging from your record you seem like quite the prankster." Answered the older woman and Amber scowled.

"So you guys don't believe my story, fine, I'm pretty sure you'll think the same after I've repeated myself."

"Let us be the judge of that, but right now all we want is to hear what happened."

"For fuck's sake! I can't believe this is what I've been brought back here for."

"Look, if you guys don't believe it's fine I don't blame you. I've been a bit crazy in the past but I'm not like that anymore, I've changed." She said. The younger detective pulled her chair around the table a bit closer to the girl and straddled it beneath her, resting her arms over the back.

"Good, then let's hope the only thing that's changed is you and not your story."

×

What happened..

Her heart was thumping away furiously, she kept looking back, the car sped down the highway even when no one was following them, how could they when the man made them change cars?

Amberle couldn't believe how fast the cops gave up when told back off, she just couldn't. They allowed her, their only ally and source of information to be taken hostage by the criminal they could've easily apprehended. If they thought it was the right thing to do, it wasn't. She was scared as she sat beside Danny in the speeding car, the gun clutched tightly in one hand while the other steered the vehicle.

The man looked pale with fright, and somehow Amberle knew it was fright. She'd never seen him like that so it must've been.

"Where are we gonna go?" She asked.

"Away from here of course. We just need to make a quick stop first," Danny answered sparing her a glance.

"But the cops are going to follow us, how are you gonna avoid them?"

"Just shut the fuck up and let me do my shit!" He barked.

Thoughts of a scared Joslyn tied up somewhere filled the girl's mind while she bit her tongue. How they were going to make it out a situation like that repeated itself within the girl's mind until one thing became clear. She needed to do something to save herself before she could at least try to save Jos.

"Where are you keeping her?" She asked trying to get Danny to talk.

"I'm surprised you haven't figured that part out yet, after all, you are a smart girl." He mocked. Amber's mind worked overtime trying to figure out where he could be keeping her. Then suddenly the car pulled to a stop and he held the gun to her head.

"Get out," He ordered and she did.

They walked over to a house she couldn't recognize in an equally unrecognizable neighbourhood.

"Come on, move!" He hissed once they were up the stairs. Pushing the girl to the side, Danny pulled out a key and unlocked the door, then shoving her in.
He turned his back to Amberle to lock the door and she took that moment to ready herself for the thought that struck, it was impulsive but if executed it well it could work. The girl didn't have much to work with except what she knew, so she did the predictable.

As soon as the man turned towards her she wasted no time, lifting her right leg to his crotch, striking him with all my might and to her surprise, it worked.
Danny dropped to his knees clutching his puny pride while groaning. The girl kicked him again but this time connecting her boot to his face. He flung to the ground and the gun popped out of his grasp.

The adrenaline rushing through Amberle's veins had her feeling invincible while she stood above him. The man sprawled against the floor, writhing and groaning. Hopping over him she raced for the gun, her palms were sweating and she wiped them before picking up the weapon. Stooping to retrieve it she was oblivious that the man crawled to his feet and the moment she grabbed the gun he jumped onto her and they both fell.

The weapon went off, sending a single bullet into the air and both Danny and the girl paused for a second looking at the hole in the wall.

"Give me the gun!" He gritted wrestling the gun out of her hand but she held onto it.

"No, I won't!"

Danny did his best to take the weapon back and Amberle did her best to keep it and because of that, she was unaware that it moved its way from above her head to between them. She was only made aware of that until it went off twice. The first bullet went unnoticed but the second one was what drew her attention. The sting that came with the realization caught her off guard and she froze, releasing the gun from her grasp.