Sixteen

*No POV*
The four had been back off of their mission for about two days to give them time to recover before the debriefing. But, Steve arrived at the Compound alone a few hours earlier. Peter was sitting in the Common area doing his history homework with the occasional help from Bucky. Peter looked up and saw him through the glass in the wall. Peter couldn't do this. Peter couldn't see him, it hurt the boy to even think of his name.

"I-I have to g-g-go"

Peter ran out of the Common area leaving a very confused Bucky behind. Until in his confusion Bucky looked up to see what had upset Peter. Then he saw Steve. The man was heading towards the Commons quickly.

"Steve."

"Hey Buck."

The older man rolled his eyes. Don't get Bucky wrong, Steve was his best friend but God how he wanted to punch him at this point. It had been three months, three whole months and Steve was still in dick mode. Peter wanted his Pops, Bucky knew that, and Steve definitely knew that.

"Why are you here so early?"

"I need to speak to someone."

Bucky scoffed. "Unless that someone is Peter, I couldn't give a shit."

"It is Peter."

Buckys eyes widened. Was Steve finally going to apologize? Was he finally going to take his broken son home- the son that he broke. Or was Steve going to be a complete ass to Peter? This was the type of thing you never knew with Steve.

"Tell me why and I'll consider letting you see him."

"I messed up Buck. I need to tell my dau- son that I'm sorry."

"Why?"

Bucky loved that Steve was finally realising that he was being an asshole but what Bucky really needed was: Why? What made Steve change his mind when he had been so adamant about not accepting Peter?

"Over these few months I've been thinking. I heard what Tony had been telling me about how everyone else had been more of a Parent to he-im than I had. When we got our child I promised that I would do anything to protect them- always. I broke it. I broke the most important promise I ever made to my kid. I need to make things right Buck."

"Come with me then."

Bucky led Steve out of the Commons and through the corridors of the Compound. And towards Peters room.

"Hows he been?"

Bucky looked at Steve and laughed, really? Steve was treading on thin wire here.

"I've never seen Peter cry so much. The first night he came here he had a panic attack because he thought you didn't love him. The second he had a nightmare and everything in the nightmare you told him. Need I carry on?"

Steve looked and felt extremely guilty. What had he done? He was such a bad father, he had failed his own child. He was going to be better, for Peter, for the child he had failed.

"I'm sorry..."

"Don't tell me."

They arrived at Peters room to find that the boy was not there. Steve sighed and sat on Peters bed. Bucky followed suit. None of this was forgiveness to Steve, Bucky could never after finding out what Steve had said, and for how he had left it three fucking months before realising that throwing your child out was not a very good idea. Bucky broke the thick, uncomfortable silence.

"You really hurt him you know?"

"I know." Steve paused and his eyes began to fill with tears. "What if he doesn't forgive me? What if he wants nothing to do with me?" A tear slipped from Steve's eye, his voice unstable.

Bucky so badly wanted to tell Steve that 'Thats how your child felt for three fucking months, shitbag'. But he didn't.

"I wouldn't blame him. But we both know Peter isn't like that."

"I hope so."

Bucky got up off of the bed and sighed, he knew it would take a while to find Peter just by simply walking around the Compound. Bucky also knew that Peter had his phone on him. Bucky got out his phone and opened the app that shared the location of all the Avengers in case of an emergency (or just to prank the others). He quickly found the boy.

"Peters in the kitchen."

"I'm going to be a father to my son."