Day of the Departed (KaiXSkylor)

Kai reached forward, one hand lighting the lantern in front of him, the other gripping tightly the hand of his girlfriend- the same flames bouncing around her beautiful dark brown eyes as she watched him intently. After a moment Kai took a step back, holding the lantern in his hands and letting the comforting flames tickle his fingers before releasing it to join the rest of the lanterns in the night sky above them, Skylor moving closer to him gently.

"Happy day of the departed" she whispered to him, leaning against his shoulder as Kai removed his hand from hers only wrap it around her waist, pulling her to him securely. "Happy day of the departed beautiful." he whispered in response as he planted a small kiss on the side of her head.

...

Kai shifted slightly from where he was laying in the grass, looking up at the stars above them and watching the last of the lanterns float away into the night, it now being into the early hours of the morning- but neither him nor Skylor quite ready to end the evening. He could feel Skylor's close breathing beside him as he held her to his chest, her head resting on his shoulder as her body was slightly turned to hug him closer, Kai enjoyed immensely the feeling of her breath lining up with his. 

"Sky?" he asked after a minute, looking down from her as he brushed the long auburn hair away from her face. 

"hmm?" she asked, not opening her eyes as she tiredly responded to him. 

Kai hesitated a moment before speaking again, "Do you think we'll ever have families again? Not broken ones, or ones that have passed on, but true happy families." he clarified, his eyes scanning her face as he asked the question. Skylor contemplated this for so long Kai began to wonder if she had fallen back asleep before she nodded. 

"I think we already do." she said softly after a moment. "Think about it- Sensei Wu, Misako, Nya, not to mention your brother's ... I even have you." she said looking up to him after a moment. "If that's not a family then heck I don't know what is." she said with a small smirk as Kai grinned. 

"Gosh I love you." he murmured, bending down to kiss her on the forehead, causing Skylor to laugh at the feeling of his lips pressed against her skin. After he pulled away Skylor shifted, pulling herself closer as her hand reached for his face, "and I love you hot head." she said before bringing her lips to his. 

The kiss stared out gentle and soft, the moment they were sharing radiating through the quiet grass around them. Kai smiled into the kiss as he shifted more onto his side to pull her closer, his hand traveling to her waist as Skylor's hand slid up and into his hair still maintaining the gentle softness between them as she did so. Kai felt his heart give a quick jump as her other hand wrapped around his side, pulling him closer resulting in Kai deepening the kiss, Skylor accepting the gesture immediately as she returned in passionately. 

Kai felt a heat creep up on his face but didn't want to stop, and as Skylor seemed to have no objections he continued, moving both his hands to place on her hips, rolling so he was nearly on top of her- still completely supporting his weight.

After a moment Kai felt her small hand against his chest, recognizing the signal and pulling away softly, kissing her pink lips one more time before taking in her expression. "Sorry ..." he apologized, "got a little carried away" he said with a sheepish grin, rolling to the side again as he seemed to realize his position. 

Skylor smirked, but wrapped her arms around him in a tight hug, pulling herself close to rest against him again, "don't worry about it ... let's not worry about anything ... it's a holiday remember?" she said softly, Kai smiling. 

"Happy day of the departed gorgeous" he whispered, Skylor placing a kiss on his cheek before responding. 

"Happy day of the departed."

Written: October 29 2018