recover

It's like we're dreaming wide awake
Everything bends until it breaks
Can we recover?
Can we get over this?
Are we too deep in the night

The morning came and found Amelia and Steve just as the night before left them. Together in each others arms, Amelia had awoken up in the middle of the night and realized he was there. She laid watching him for a while, his pink lips, his beautiful face. She snuggle d closer to him like a cat, letting herself sink in him like she used to. She let herself believe that they were alright and when the sun crept in through the windows, waking them both in sync they both stretched their bodies, pulling away from each other just a bit. Steve’s phone rang shortly after that but she didn’t open her eyes, even when he hanged up and stared at her, she pretended she was still asleep. Even when he brushed his fingers on her cheeks she stayed with her eyes closed and even when his lips kissed the top of her head she stayed still, waiting for him to leave.

She heard him dressing up, picking his stuff, opening and closing the door and when he was finally away she stood in her tiptoes and walked to the door. She listened to him and Danny talking in the hall.

“they are having a funeral today. In a few hours. CIA wants to honor him in the right way.” Said Danny
“I just got a call from the governor, he wants to meet with me.”
“go! I’ll stay here with her, tell her about the service, tell Kono to drop some clothes for her and we will meet you at the cemetery.”
“alright- if anything comes up call me!”
“I will, go!”

A service? She thought. Then she started wondering whether she should go of not, after all his murder was her fault, she was to blame. Marcel might have pulled the trigger but she’s the one who poked the bear. She sank back on the bed and the sheets that by now smelled like Steve. He always left his mark wherever he went, whether it was his perfume, or just his touch. She shook her head, she shouldn’t be thinking about him right now. She should be thinking about hunter and the damage she had done.

When she finally got out of the bedroom, Danny and grace were already eating breakfast. They pulled a seat out for her, gave her a bowl for cereal. They told her jokes and she let out weak laughs and smiles, pretending she was listening. She sensed Danny’s eyes on her while she moved her spoon round and found on her mood, moving her cereal on endless spin.

“what have you forgotten how to eat?” he asked joking and she cracked a smile at him but continued her simple movement.
“You don’t like chocolate cereal Aunt Amy?”
“of  course I do- I’m just- I’m not that hungry.”
“Amelia you’ve barely eaten anything in the last two days.” Murmured Danny. She bit her lip and shrugged like an annoying teenager. Danny balanced his head on his hands, looking at her like a stern father.
“I heard there’s going to be a service”
Danny narrowed his eyes “you were eavesdropping?”
“what you gonna do Danny?”

Danny scoffed “well your sources are correct. CIA wants to put a service in his memory- it’s in a few hours.”
“I don’t think I wanna go.”
“don’t be stupid. He was your friend- you should go.”
“he’s dead because of me Danny!” she snapped, dropping her spoon. The metal hitting against the bowl made a terrifying sound that pierced through everyone’s ears. Especially Grace’s. Danny raised his finger to tell grace to go in her room but then there was a light knock on the door that go their attention. Danny looked warningly at Amelia before getting up to open the door. Grace watched them with her innocent eyes, confused scared.

Kono came with the clothes Danny asked her to bring and when Amelia saw them she stood up immediately and snatched the pair of clothes from her. She headed to the bathroom to change, she didn’t even say thank you or stayed around for any sort of conversation. Danny watched  her take them and leave, scratching his head.