Losing Your Memory

Remember the day
Cause this is what dreams should always be
I just want to stay
I just want to keep this dream in me.

TWO MONTHS LATER

The room was huge, larger than it looked like in movies or shows like the West Wing. It looked even bigger now that she was in it alone. She opened her bottle with the beer opener, the clicking sound reminded her of home and she was surely far away from it right now. Far away from the sun, the beach, her family. She looked at the large projector, the map of the operation and took a sip from her nostalgic drink.

“You don’t like celebrating?” asked a female voice behind her and Amelia spun her chair the other way to look at her. The lady was blond, tall and beautiful, dressed in a badass suit. The lady was also holding a beer in her hands, she opened it and sat on one of the chairs next to Ams.
“I’m still trying to process the fact that I’m here in the first place"
“bit Amazing, right?”
“extraordinary. I never thought I’d be on the Situation Room, in the White House, preventing a terrorist attack because of my Intel.”
“which takes me back to my first question.” She smiled “you don’t like celebrating?”

Amelia laughed while shrugging her shoulders. “I don’t know. I’ve had many of my celebrations disturbed last minute, I’m kind of avoiding it I guess.”
“you know before you came here I had to look at your file. Yours and David’s, it was pretty interesting. It seems to me that through your life this has been the most stable place you’ve ever been"
“the White House?”
“no.” she laughed “I mean. You caught the guy you were chasing, Marcel. You have a stable job now, you seem content, like you are doing what you always wanted.”
“you got all that from knowing me for one day.”
“I used to be like you. Its not that hard to get you.”
“what’s your name again?”

“Kate Harper.” The shook hands, smiling. Amelia then let hers slip. “I’m the national security advisor. A few year from now I’m sure you’d be perfect to fill this seat yourself.”
“I’m flattered.” She looked at her bear, tapping her fingers on the bottle “have you ever heard the story about the villagers and the Zen master.”
Kate shook her head, her long blonde hair moving left and right with her. “I don’t believe I have.”

“it’s an old one. They say there was a village once and in that village lived a Zen master, who would observe the villagers and sometimes advise them. One day a boy got a horse for his 14th birthday and everybody was happy, oh how wonderful, the said, how lucky he is, they asked but the Zen master who was always watching simply said, ‘we'll see'" Amelia paused, Kate sat back on her chair, crossing her arms. “a couple of years later, the lucky boy is riding his horse and he falls off and breaks his leg. The injury was so bad, doctors said he might never walk again. The villagers are shocked and sad, how terrible, they say. But the Zen master replied the same way he did before, ‘we'll see'" Amelia looks at Kate, smiled weakly at her “a year later a war breaks out close to the village and every man and boy has to go and fight-"
“except the boy" whispers Kate
“exactly. His leg was still messed up, he couldn’t go to war. How lucky, the say again. The villagers are happy for him and they ask the Zen master ‘isn’t it wonderful?”
“let me guess he said we'll see.”
“yeah that’s exactly what he did.” Amelia laid back on her chair, letting out a deep sigh “you never know what’s good or bad for you. You never what’s gonna happen. Maybe the boy survived after that or a bomb fell in front of his tiny house and he died.”

“that’s not a nice a picture.”
“no it’s not but that’s what life is. I lost my parents, I got 5-0, I died, I got marcel but then I lost hunter and I lost Steve and many friends of mine. I got a new job but I’m away from my family and I keep telling myself its fir the best and you know what? I’m sure it is but that doesn’t make the lonely nights any better.”