Results (Part 9) Vergil

Monday 9:30 p.m. October 3rd

Vergil surveyed the room he'd grown up in, and tried his best to stay afloat in a sea of memories. His mom hadn't moved a thing. The unopened X-Men action figures, Vergil had thought would be worth a fortune someday, remained untouched. An old stop sign he and Quinn had stolen from an intersection under construction, where people kept getting in wrecks still loomed above his bed. The picture on his nightstand of his "birth father" that they both thought was hilarious sat there collecting dust. One Christmas, Vergil had opened a present, and it was one of those stock photos that frame people used as filler before you put in the actual picture, and she said, "For all we know, that could be your father, and of all the potential fathers there, this one was my favorite." He was thirteen years old, and that's how she broke the news he was a sperm donor baby. A smile touched the corner of his lips, but it was tinged with melancholy. Why does every smile carry so much sadness these days?

"Didn't you say you had somewhere to be at 10? We best get going if we plan to arrive on time." Albert said in his signature tone of condescension.

"We? Your obligation to me is fulfilled you can go back to your Master now," Vergil replied.

Albert gave Vergil a long, stern look, but he had a hard time taking it seriously. Vergil couldn't help but imagine the dog's old, wizened face sporting a pair of librarian's spectacles and shushing Vergil with a paw to his whiskers.

"The Master is no longer with us, and the Little Master can manage on her own. Additionally, I believe my presence causes her a great deal of sadness. I'm afraid I've become a painful reminder of the Master. At this juncture, I am far more concerned about your ability to take care of yourself. I've decided I shall accompany you for the time being. Now, let's be off. I'm intrigued by this Saul fellow. Any human that willingly chooses to associate themselves with you must be a character indeed," the dog stated in a manner that was not left open for discussion.

Vergil rolled off the bed. He felt strange, being sober this late in the day was an altogether foreign experience. That, mixed with the exhaustion from their run in with that creature, left him feeling less than optimal. Vergil imagined it was something akin to what someone felt after running a marathon. After the dog treats had kicked in, he and Albert hadn't had a moment's respite.

The owners of the duplex had pulled into the driveway just as Vergil had regained control of his limbs. The pair escaped through the back door and booked it off into the field that separated them from the drive-in. A minefield of dead and distorted animals littered the field, but neither of them felt the urge to stick around and investigate. Their encounter with that thing had left their nerves on edge. They scrounged up anything that could be perceived as useful, which in Vergil's case, meant a couple extra pairs of clothes. It all got stuffed into his backpack, and they left with no destination in mind. The heavy door closed behind them, and a part of him knew that part of his life had closed behind him. He chose not to dwell on how that made him feel.

It wasn't long before his strength started to fail him, and even the act of wandering around town was becoming too much to handle. Vergil suggested they dig through some trash cans or beg for money, but Albert informed him that his dignity would not allow him to "debase himself thus." Albert's pride limited their options by a substantial amount, but Vergil refused to leave the canine. He may have been a pompous jerk, but Vergil liked the company. Asking Saul for anymore help was out of the question, so that left one more alternative. His house.

Before glioblastoma took her out for good, his mother had written up a will that left everything to Vergil. He'd begged her to give it to charity, but she said "Vergil dear, you are charity." That was that. Everything she owned became Vergil's. A combination of self-loathing and sadness had prevented him from stepping foot in his own home or using the money she had left him.