Apex (Part 7) Jordan

Saturday, November 5th, 1:36 a.m.

Jordan wondered if her dad would have been proud of her.

She wasn't sure if Ms. Kim was right about the people being monsters now, or if Mr. Neiman was right when he said the people would die even if she helped them, but even if they were both right, Jordan didn't think she would like the way killing would make her feel.

She knew it wasn't their fault, but Jordan was going to have to kill them anyways. They were all somebody's friends or family, and Jordan would be wiping all of that away, like it never even happened. At least Jordan wouldn't have to live long with the guilt.

The others hadn't realized that Jordan's plan was a suicide mission. In their panic, they probably hadn't considered where Jordan would end up after the killing blow. Maybe they did know, or maybe they didn't care. She knew the aliens and Mr. Neiman would let her die if it would mean their survival.

Would the others?

She watched Derek fidgeting with excitement as he watched Vergil climb to the top of the giant movie screen. The man looked so small way up there. Jordan didn't care if he was bulletproof, that fall was too big for anyone. She wondered if the others realized that Vergil was planning his own suicide mission. The man had tried to keep a stiff upper lip for the others, but Jordan could tell there was something more swimming behind his eyes. She'd seen that expression before in the mirror.

The alien called Vyth's bright violet light sputtered like a candle flame, and Jordan told the others to put their backs to the drive in screen. It was all they had for cover, and it would keep the predators from jumping them from behind. While the others ran to safety, Derek, Michelle, and Christopher took their places next to Jordan.

"Thank you," Jordan whispered. She could barely hear her own voice, "But you should go with them. They need somebody to protect them... I don't."

Jordan bit her lip hard enough to draw blood. She was glad the others couldn't see her, or they would've known she was lying. Diana's vacant eyes seemed to be staring at Jordan no matter where she went.

"Somebody needs to protect her," Jordan said, motioning towards the little girl.

Miss Kim was the first to reply, "Sorry kid, but this is where the story is, and I go where the story goes."

She winked, but the woman's smile didn't touch her eyes.

On the heels of Michelle's proclamation, Christoper spoke up.

"Guilt is an emotion I prefer to avoid, Jordan. Additionally, I believe that someone important to me would have urged me to make sure you remain safe. Nothing short of physical force will stand between me and your safety."

Jordan thought about arguing with the two foolhardy and stubborn adults. They didn't realize what they were signing up for, but then a flash of intuition struck. The predators seemed to be inextricably connected to Jordan and the others that had been... affected by the violet light. If they stayed with Jordan, it would keep the predators focused enough to ignore those who didn't have the tools to defend themselves

"What about Diana?"

"I'll keep an eye on her. I'm used to taking care of people," said the woman with violet hair. She was looking up at Vergil.

He's almost to the top.

The woman reached out and took Diana's hand, "Come on sweetie. Jordan has to do something important," The woman smiled at Jordan, but Jordan couldn't return the smile.

Albert was cradled in the woman's arms, and Jordan felt a pang of jealousy along with a myriad of other emotions that she tried not to focus on. The dog was a painful reminder of everything that she'd lost. Her father, her mother, and her old life. It had been so simple, but it had happened to someone else. Even the dog didn't recognize her. Albert's eyes never passed never even looked at Jordan. He was always focused on other things when she looked at him, like he was trying to avoid direct contact.

Maybe this is a new dog, and Albert disappeared with the violet light.

Since the trip to Idaho, the dog's face was always dominated with a look that bespoke a pervading sadness and lethargy. Now, Albert's eyes seemed alive in a way Jordan would never expected of him. Not only did he not seem bored, he watched the proceedings with a scrutiny if Jordan didn't know better, she would have assumed he understood just as much as the rest of them.

Jordan nodded at the violet haired woman, and turned her away from. She would have to accept the woman's help. No other options remained.

"Mr. Neiman, I need you to do something for me," Jordan called.

"If you think I'm going to be a part of your suicide run, you're out of your hormone-ridden mind," he replied.

The fat man was able to see what the others refused to. Jordan didn't expect to make it out of this alive.

There was a sharp intelligence behind the man's beady, dark eyes intermingled with resigned sadness that was different from her own. His sadness was tinged with an undercurrent of rage that he couldn't stop from boiling out.

Jordan approached the man, so the others couldn't hear, "I need you to pull the others to safety before Vergil hits the ground, but you need to leave me there. Can you do that for me please?"

He snorted, "But what's in it for me. These chuckleheads wouldn't lift a finger if I was drowning in front of them."

Jordan didn't try to argue, "Please?"

The man's eyes narrowed, "I'll do it, but you owe me one. People can't go thinking I'm a nice guy, it would ruin my reputation.

During their conversation, Vyth had hopped into the driver's seat of the truck. The engine roared to life effectively cutting off their conversation. Jordan did her best to hide a smile, although Paul seemed incapable of being nice to people, Jordan thought there was a good man buried deep inside.

The others hopped in the truck, and Blujh jumped into the bed of the truck next to Mr. Neiman. The alien still fingered his future gun, and leveled periodic glares at the fat man. The truck spit up gravel as Vyth took everyone to their impromptu shelter.

Jordan looked at the mass of humanity, and although she hadn't gotten a chance to know the people of Lancet Falls, the town had started to feel like home. The peaceful town had lured Jordan into a false sense of belonging. Derek and Mr. Kinghorn had made her feel loved and content, despite her mother's accident and Albert's disappearance. Now, she realized the error of her ways; she couldn't fit in anywhere. Jordan was like a bad organ that would be rejected by anything she tried to make her home. Looking at the predators that surrounded her, Jordan hated herself for dragging everyone else down with her, but then Derek started talking, knocking Jordan out of her negative thought spiral, "This is going to make one good story someday!"

Michelle smiled, but it was to placate the boy, "You got that right, so let's make sure we live to tell it?"

"The good guys always win," Derek replied as if it was the most obvious thing ever.

"Your friend has almost reached the top," Christopher interrupted.

Jordan felt a flare of anger at the man. His cowardice had left he and Diana alone with Tony and his good squad.

But would a coward come back?

The strange man remained an enigma. His face was a blank slate, refusing to betray how he felt about their possible impending death.

"Oh right!" Derek said, running a hand through his hair and straightening his jeans, "See you guys later!"

He zipped into the sky. It was hard to tell in the fading light, but it looked like the air seemed to shift and move around Derek.

They were plunged into darkness, and nothing but the thumping of feet announced the horde bearing down on them.