17. Something's not right.

The usually bright blue sky that had turned a sinister shade of grey, finally began to return to normal. Loud claps of thunder could be heard faintly in the distance. The storm had finally passed.

Bellamy stared out across the forest, eyes scanning for any sign of trouble. Something about the sudden change in weather gave Bellamy a bad feeling. All had been silent for the past two weeks. No howlers, no issues, no disasters. Everything had been peaceful and easy in camp Arkadia. Kane had been elected as the new chancellor. Thanks to Bellamy's passed over votes, Marcus won by a landslide. It was all worth it to see the unpleasant scowl plastered across Jaha's face.

Bellamy and Clarke had been living the perfect life. They seemed to be more in love than ever now and together with Aurora, they looked like the perfect family. He and Clarke seemed to agree on everything without even discussing anymore. It was a nice feeling, great even, and Bellamy was almost beginning to forget what his and Clarke's relationship used to be like. Almost.

Like everything on earth, all good things came to an end. This time the bad that followed the good, arrived the same time Mother Nature unleashed her fury on earth with the biggest storm the camp had ever seen. Crops were destroyed, cabins were blown away, trees were lifted from the very roots that held them to the ground, and the wall they had worked so hard to build, came crashing down around them.

Bellamy released a deep breath as Aurora hopped over fallen branches in front of him. He felt a presence at his side but didn't need to look to know it was Clarke.

"Just when we thought things were going so well." She sighed softly beside him.

Bellamy nodded his head in response. He didn't know what else to say. Now not only did he have to worry about the fact that Nathan and the howlers were still out there, he also had to worry about keeping his family safe now the walls were down. Clarke was due to give birth in a couple of months. It took them nearly a year to secure the wall properly last time after the howlers attacked.

The cogs turned in his head as he looked around at the remains of their camp. They'd have to work extra hard to rebuild the camp this time. He felt a small hand tug at his shirt. Looking down, he found Aurora looking up at him. He'd been so distracted that he hadn't even see her approach. 

"Look, I found this." Aurora said, holding up a dirt covered object.

Bellamy took the object from her and wiped some of the dirt off. Turning it in his hand, he discovered it was a knife handle. The blade had been snapped off. On one side there were marks scratched into the wood. On the other, a symbol Bellamy would never forget was carved and painted.

"Where did you find this?" Bellamy asked as he sucked in a breath.

Clarke moved closer to look at the object in Bellamy's hand. Her heart raced at the familiar symbol.

"I found it over there." Aurora shrugged, pointing behind her. "It was sticking out the ground."

"Maybe it was buried after the last battle?" Clarke said. Though she sounded like she was trying to convince herself more than anyone else.

"Maybe." Bellamy mumbled. His eyes never left the dagger as he spoke. "We need to get that wall up."

Aurora skipped off again, finding another way to occupy herself. Bellamy turned the handle around in his hands again before shoving it in his pocket. Clarke looked up at him, waiting for him to speak. Bellamy turned to face her.

"We have to be careful. This could have been left as a warning." Bellamy said seriously.

"Why would they bury a knife handle in the ground after the storm destroyed camp? Why not just attack when we're defenceless?" Clarke asked, shaking her head in confusion.