Farewell

I dashed around the forge like a Terror with its tail on fire, tossing my tools into the large basket that I was taking with me. It took me an uncomfortably long time to find some of my parts in the dark - the sun was already starting to peek over the horizon. I couldn't risk being caught out in daylight.
Toothless watched me from the back, squashed uncomfortably into the small space. "Are you done yet? People might come any second, and then we're doomed." I swept all my sketches and schematics into the basket. "That's everything. Now let's get out of here."

I strapped the basket to Toothless' side, vaulting into the saddle. "Okay, back to the cove." Toothless looked at me questioningly "Aren't we leaving?" I put on a mock evil expression. "MUAHAHA! I tricked you!" Toothless looked reproachfully at me. "Just kidding. Yeah, we are, but I need to tie up a few loose ends. My father wouldn't stop looking for me unless..." Toothless shook with the draconic equivalent of laughter. "You're going to fake your own death, aren't you." My mischievous grin was an answer in itself. "Yep. And you're going to be the murderer."

"I like this plan." Toothless remarked as we launched into the sky.

* * * * *

I scattered black scales across the rocky ground. "And here there was a scuffle. The searchers should find deep claw marks in the dirt, evidence that a dragon was injured. Over here," I gestured to the patch of grass I was standing on. "I was pinned to the ground, but rolled away before you fried me." Toothless obligingly fired a blast at the greenery, scorching it into oblivion. "Here's the very spot where Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the Third tragically died!" I exclaimed dramatically, pretending to fall to the ground. I sat up and drew my dagger, slashing it across my forearm. Dizziness almost overwhelmed me as I watched my blood soak into the burnt ground. Toothless nudged me worriedly. "You okay?" I stood carefully, leaning against his side. "I'll be fine."

Toothless and I had gotten a little carried away while planning my 'death'. There was blood on the dirt (my idea), scorch marks on the walls (Toothless' idea) and black scales scattered across the cove for dramatic effect. There was absolutely no doubt that I had died heroically, but all the carefully placed footprints that Toothless had stomped into the blackened earth might be a little over the top.

"Only a little?" Toothless remarked sarcastically. I laughed. "At least I went down fighting. My dad will probably tell people that I died battling a Night Fury, two Skrills, a Monstrous Nightmare and a flock of Scauldrons!" Remembering that I was leaving Berk forever, I sobered up. Toothless nudged me gently and I leaned against him. No going back.

"Should we add a few more scorch marks?" Toothless snickered. "That would make the place look more like a volcano than a murder. But just in case they weren't sure..." I pulled off my jacket, tearing a strip off to bandage my arm with. The rest was sliced up and left on the ground. "Done."

As we walked out of the cove, I turned to survey the destruction. My dagger still lay at the bottom of the pool, where I had tossed it months ago. The shredded fur vest was my last tie to home, the Berkian crest stitched clumsily at the corner as a relic from my attempts to sew. All I had now was my tools, the dull-coloured green shirt and pants I wore, and the leather flying harness I'd made.

"Having second thoughts?" Toothless questioned. I took a deep breath and turned away, steeling myself to face the unknown. Goodbye, Berk.

"Let's go."