Lead Us Home

Viggo
I watched the Dragon Master and his little friends spiral into the sky, smiling slightly. Ryker was yelling at one of the men who had been guarding the dragons, his face red with anger. "You let 'em get away, you useless idiot!"
"Calm down, brother." I interrupted. "This is part of the plan." Ryker turned to stare at me, for once speechless. Ah, the satisfaction of making one's siblings stare at you like those big-eyed monstrosities we'd taken on the other island. The one regret I had was that the Razorwhips had gotten away, but they weren't worth much except as bait.
"They escape," I clarified, "and run straight back to base. And when they do, we follow them."

The wing of dragons soared into the sky, heading for a destination far in the distance. "Lead us home, Dragon Master."

"Lead us home."

A/N: Bet you weren't expecting that!

Hiccup
We flew for home, but I didn't feel any safer now that we'd escaped Viggo's clutches.
"They know." Toothless repeated, his voice coloured with disbelief. I winced. "Viggo took my armour. They recognised me without the helmet on. Well, Astrid did."

"They'll take you away!" he exclaimed in panic. "And you'll have to go back to Berk, and I won't have a rider, and..."
"Calm down!" I yelled, cutting Toothless off. "They couldn't force me if they tried. I'm not leaving any time soon. Dragon's Edge is home, not Berk. Besides, your tail is autonomous now, so you don't need me."

"Need you? Maybe not to fly. But you're my stupid crazy genius weirdo, and I need you because you're my best friend and I love you."
Sometimes, Toothless makes me cry.

Just then, all the other dragons butted in. Their show of support warmed my heart like a Snoggletog bonfire. "You can't have Hiccup, he's one of ours!" That was Stormfly. "No one's taking him away, Toothless." Meatlug reassured. "I'll barbecue them if they try!" Hookfang roared, flaming up.

"Ow!" Snotlout screeched. "Oops." Hookfang muttered, letting the fire burn out.
The Vikings had been silent for most of the ride home, just staring at me. The sight of their former punching bag talking to dragons and defeating Dragon Hunters had seemingly rendered them speechless.

Some of the old bitterness welled up in my soul. I'd thought that maybe they'd changed. Maybe they'd grown up. But Snotlout's actions in the cell had disproved that theory, and I'd felt for a moment like I was back in the past. They'd respected me until they found out who I was. Now I was back to 'useless fishbone' in their eyes. Still the scrawny disappointment of a person that they'd hated back when we were kids, except with more firepower and less patience.
At least I got to scare Snotlout. His expression when I'd pinned him against the wall had been immensely satisfying, some small revenge for the fifteen years of hell that he had put me through.

What was I going to do? I can't lock them away because they know who I am. And killing them isn't ever an option. But sooner or later, my identity will be let slip to be used against me. If the entire Archipelago knew that the Dragon Master was Stoick the Vast's failure of a son, all hell would break loose. My mysterious and terrifying reputation would be shredded like the jacket I'd left on the island six years ago, the Edge could be exposed since they'd been there already, attacks would ensue that would tear the fragile peace to tatters. Basically all of us would be doomed.

For six years I had lived happily with my dragon family. Now, my past was threatening to destroy my future.

A/N: And on that depressing note...
HAPPY NEW YEAR! Welcome to 2019!
Sorry about the short chapter, but I wanted to get it published today. Goodbye, Toothlets, and I'll see you in the next chapter!

Peace, love and dragon plushies,
~Isarn