Breaking Up is Hard to Do

Another week passed, and Sophie found herself in her bedroom with Fitz, preparing to do more cognate training. As they clasped hands, their cognate rings snapping together, Sophie prepared for the moment that would ruin everything.

"Fitz, do you love me?" she blurted before he could enter her mind.

"What!? Of course I love you, Sophie!" he exclaimed, shocked, "Why would you even ask that?"

"Are you sure?"

"You... don't believe me?" he said, sounding hurt.

"Of course I believe you! I mean... I believe that you think you love me, but deep down, do actually love me?" she challenged.

"What do you mean? And why are you bringing this up?" Fitz frowned.

"Well, I've been thinking a lot about what happened with Dex, lately. And I was wondering if the same thing was happening with me. And with you," she pondered.

"What are you talking about?" he puzzled.

"I mean... Remember when he thought he was in love with me, but he actually wasn't? I think I'm in love with you, but what if I'm actually not? And what if you think you love me, but you actually don't?" she speculated, tugging out an itchy eyelash.

Fitz's frown deepened. "I'm pretty sure I'm really in love with you. I mean... You're the only girl I've ever really taken notice of, and trust me, a lot of girls have tried to catch my attention," he admitted.

"Really? You've never liked anyone else?"

"Not in the way I like you, Sophie," he breathed.

"Maybe you just haven't found the right person yet," she suggested.

"Are you saying that you're not the right person?!" 

Sophie shrugged. "I don't know. Maybe I am. But... we didn't feel the spark when we kissed, remember?"

"I guess. So... you don't think I'm the one for you?"

"You might be. The thing is, you were the first elf I met, so I started to like you as soon as I had accepted the fact that I belong here. So I haven't even considered that there might be someone else out there for me. Don't you think it would be a good idea to explore all our options?" she explained.

"What are you trying to say?"

"I want to open myself up and see if there is someone else that I'm actually meant to be with. Don't worry, I'll probably come back to you in the end, but..."

"Are you saying you want to break up with me!?" Fitz gasped, interrupting her.

"Yes. I mean no," she vacillated, "What I'm trying to say is... I don't want to break up with you, but... I think we should. Don't get me wrong, this isn't because I don't love you. It's because I think it would be good for both of us," she clarified, pulling out another eyelash.

Fitz stayed silent for a long time. Sophie could see the hurt and anger welling up inside him, as his eyes started to water.

"I'm sorry," she apologized, "You still trust me, right? Even if we don't work out, I still want to be your cognate... I know that I still trust you. I just don't know if I trust me. But someone has to. So will you trust me?

"Ok," he whispered.

"Thank you. Please, don't let this change anything. I just kind of want it to go back to how it was before I told you how I felt. And remember, this is not because of you. It's because of me," she added. 

"It might take some time," Fitz seethed, "But, ok."

"I'm sorry Fitz. I really am."

"Bye, Sophie," he replied, leaving her room and slamming the door behind him.

"Bye, Fitz," she said, but he was already gone.

Hi everyone! I'm so sorry to my Sophitz shippers, but this had to happen.

I apologize that this chapter isn't very accurate, either. I've never broken up with anybody before (because I've never had a boyfriend), so I don't know how it goes. 

I'm also sorry for the song reference in the tittle (I'm sorry, I had to! :).

Thank you for reading this chapter! Please vote and comment below!

P.S. Just FOUR days until: Flashback!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!