The Spark

"Hey, Foster," Keefe said, startling Sophie as she was recording a memory in her memory log. 

"Oh! Hi, Keefe! What can I do for you?" she exclaimed.

"I was lonely. And I needed to get away from that awful place," he said, joining her on the edge of the bed.

"Things aren't going well at the Shores of Solace, then, I take it?"

Keefe snorted. "There's no solace there. In fact, right now I'm at the only place I can find solace."

"At Havenfield?" she puzzled.

"No. Well, I guess it is sort of a safe haven. But... that's not what I meant."

"So, how are things going?" she asked.

"Same old," he sighed, "Trying to ignore the influence of my father, which annoys him greatly. Trying not to think about how my mother is still out there, doing who knows what sort of awful things."

"I'm sorry."

"What about you, Foster? How are you?" he inquired.

"I don't know. I've been stressing out over Vespera. And...," Sophie hesitated, "And I feel bad for breaking up with Fitz. I hate to see him so upset. I still trust him, but I want him to be able to trust me. He isn't taking it well."

"But how are you taking it?"

"I don't think it's making that big of a difference for me, except for that it's putting a strain on our friendship. Sometimes I wish I never broke up with him," she confessed.

"But what about trying to figure out who you truly love?"

"I don't know," she replied, tugging out an eyelash, "I'm starting to think that maybe Fitz is the one. I haven't found anyone else."

"Maybe you've been looking in the wrong places," Keefe suggested.

"What do you mean?"

"You've been looking for someone new. Someone you haven't met yet, that you think you will fall in love with, right?" he checked. Sophie nodded uncertainly, and he continued, "Maybe it's someone you already know. You just need to open your eyes and look at them in a different way."

"Like who?" she wondered.

"Probably someone with really awesome hair," he hinted, running his hand through his hair.

"You said that before. What are you trying to suggest?" she cautioned.

Keefe sighed. "What I'm trying to say, Foster, is that maybe you're in love with me," he blushed.

Sophie felt the heat rise to her cheeks. "You!?" she gasped.

Keefe shrugged. "Why not? I'm just as likely as anyone else. Perhaps a little more likely because I have the hair, you know."

"I don't know. I don't think so. Don't you think I would know if I was in love with you?"

"Probably not."

"I don't know who it is, but it's probably not you," she argued.

"Prove me wrong," he challenged, getting to his feet, "Just like you did with Dex. Except it will be different this time."

"Fine," she agreed reluctantly, getting up.

Slowly, Sophie closed the distance between them, and placed her lips on Keefe's. He wrapped his arms around her, and kissed her back. She had expected the kiss to feel awkward, like it was with Dex, but instead, it felt... right. She didn't want the kiss to end. She wanted to stay there forever, but eventually, they pulled away.

For a long time, they stood there, staring into eachother's eyes. "You knew all along, didn't you?" Sophie breathed.

"Yeah, I've known for a while, now. I'm an Empath," he affirmed. After another moment of silence, Keefe sighed. "I've been wanting to do that for a long time."

"You have? Why did't you tell me?" she asked.

"I tried. But I kept getting interrupted. Like when we first arrived at Alluventerre. I was about to tell you, when Dex started trying to get you to punch me. And at the Sanctuary. I was going to kiss you, but Grady intervened," he admitted.

"What about when I came to talk with you a few weeks ago?" she questioned, "That was your problem, wasn't it? You were jealous of Fitz. Why didn't you tell me then?"

"I thought it would be better if you broke up with him first. I didn't want you to cheat on him. Or make it seem like you broke up with him just to be with me. I didn't want to lose him as a friend," he explained.

"I guess that makes sense," she replied, "I do have a question, though. How long have you liked me for?"

"It was love at first sight, Foster," he blushed.

"Really?"

"Yes. And as time passed, my feelings only grew stronger. I love you, Sophie," he proclaimed.

"I love you, too, Keefe." And with that, he placed his lips on her's, and Sophie felt a light and a love grow inside her, that must have been the spark of true love.

Hi, everyone! Thank you for reading this! Keefoster finally happened! Do you ship it? (I'm sorry Sophitz shippers!)

Sorry it took me so long to update, but I was behind on my homework and had to catch up.

Guess what, though!? I'm almost at 2K views! This is so exciting! I didn't think I'd get that many! I only have 65 votes, though, so if you could please vote and comment, that would be amazing! You guys are the best! Bye!