Unmatchable: Falling

So, this chapter is in Keefe's point of view. I usually stick with Sophie's point of view, because that's how Shannon writes it, but I needed to put this in here. So, enjoy!

Keefe lay awake in his bed, unable to find sleep. Something was bothering him, but he wasn't sure what. Well, other than the fact that Sophie was probably going to end up with Fitz. That would always bother him. He replayed his day with Sophie in his head, remembering every detail. The way she sat under the Panakes tree, nervously tugging out an eyelash. The feel of her hand in his as she lead him to the pasture. The way she smiled and the sound of her laughter as they played with the alicorns. How it felt to have his arms wrapped around her waist, holding her against his chest, as they soared through the air. The way that beautiful pair of brown eyes seemed to penetrate his soul, making his heart do backflips. And the way her lips felt on his... Those soft, beautiful lips that seemed to  interlock perfectly with his own...

Keefe had unconsciously moved his fingers to his lips, reliving the moment. Suddenly, his eyes snapped open. That's what it was that seemed odd. Sophie hadn't pulled away when he placed his lips on hers, like he had expected her to. In fact, she had even kissed him back! 

Maybe Sophie was more aware of her feelings than he thought... Maybe she was falling for him the way he fell for her.

No... that had to be just wishful thinking.

He squeezed his eyes shut, and rolled over. Finally, with the image of the gold-flecked eyes that always seemed to fill his head more prominent than ever, Keefe drifted off to sleep, dreaming of alicorns and a beautiful blond-haired girl.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The next day, Keefe prepared to shield his eyes from the bright light of Everglen's glowing gate, but dropped his arm when the brilliance didn't hit his eyes. He had forgotten they had torn down the massive barrier surrounding the property. Tentatively, he stepped onto the property and headed toward the main house. It was odd not having to wait for one of the Vackers to let him onto the premises.

After Della had opened the door for him, Keefe headed up the stairs to Fitz's room and knocked.

"Come in!" he called. Keefe opened the door and entered the spacious room, heading to where Fitz was sitting on the bed. "Hi, Keefe! What brings you here?" 

"Oh, hey, Fitzy! I'm sorry, am I interrupting your snuggle time?" he teased in reply. 

Fitz looked down at the red, sparkly dragon he was holding. "No," he replied, hastily placing Mr. Snuggles on the bed and tucking him under the covers, "How are you?"

"You know, about the same as always. Worried about my friends and trying to avoid my dad," he answered, "How are you?"

"Fine," he frowned, "Why are you worried?"

Keefe sat on the edge of the bed and lowered his voice. "Foster told me about the matchmakers," he confessed.

"Oh. How'd you get her to do that?" he asked, "She was reluctant to tell even me."

Keefe shrugged. "Oh, you know, my usual methods," he grinned. Then he leaned over and loudly whispered, "I annoyed her until she told me."

Fitz rolled his eyes, "Sounds about right."

"Foster tells me you don't know what you're going to do, yet."

He nodded. "Yeah. I love Sophie, but I don't want to ruin my family name..." he hesitated, a torn expression on his face. Keefe could feel his heartbreak and indecision.

"Huh," he snorted, "When are you going to realize that your brother's already ruined 'the family name'?"

Fitz's expression darkened. "Alvar is no brother of mine," he seethed.

"Ok. But seriously, why is this decision so hard for you? If I were in your shoes, I know what I would choose, no contest."

"Yeah," he sighed, "But you're different, Keefe. You don't exactly have a family you are proud to be a part of. I couldn't bear having them look down on me in disappointment for the rest of my life."

"But what about Sophie? Could you live without her?" he challenged.

"No. That's why it's so hard. It's a lose-lose situation."

"You know, if matchmaking is that important to you, why did you choose her in the first place? You knew there was a high probability that she wasn't even going to register," remarked Keefe.

"Somehow, deep down, I always knew she would end up registering. I just never expected..," he shook his head, "Anyways, I couldn't stop my self from falling in love."

"I'll give you that," he agreed.

"I've just been wanting to be with her for so long, and I finally worked up the courage to tell her how I felt, and it seemed like everything was going to work out. Then, she finally went to the matchmakers, and now it all seems so hopeless," Fitz confessed, sadness creeping into his tone.

Keefe nodded. "I know how you feel. And not just 'cause I'm an Empath. For you, there's still hope. It just depends on your decision," he encouraged, "But for me... there is none."

"That's right. You like Sophie, too, don't you?" he inquired, "Then why didn't you fight harder for her?"

"Because I know she deserves better than me. All I want is for her to be happy, and she seems to be happy with you. And... I didn't want to lose you as a friend," Keefe explained, "I don't even know why I ever thought I had a chance. I mean, with you, there's really no competition."

"I... I'm sorry," Fitz said, "But once you know her, It's impossible not to fall for her. I couldn't help myself."

"I don't blame you, Fitz," he sighed, "After all, I fell for her the same way. What about her is there not to like?"

Fitz just shook his head, not able to come up with anything he didn't love about her.

"So, I hope you realize what's more important, but if you decide you're family name is worth the sacrifice, don't worry— I'll take good care of her. I'll love her like you wouldn't believe," Keefe promised.

"Thanks, Keefe. I really am sorry that we can't both have her, though."

"No you're not. You want her all to yourself," Keefe teased, standing up, "I've got to go, Fitz. Just think about what I said."

"Ok. I'll take it into consideration, but it might take a while for me to make my decision."

"Think about it," he said, turning to disappear down the hallway. Once again, those gold-flecked brown eyes flashed through his mind. After hearing what both Sophie and Fitz had to say, maybe, he thought, just maybe he did have a chance.

Hi! I hope you enjoyed this chapter from Keefe's point of view! 

I would like to thank you all for reading Secrets Revealed. I'm up to 4.2K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! However, I don't know if most of my readers actually like it, because I don't get very many votes or comments. So if you could PLEASE vote and comment, and tell me what you think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, I published a new book, called Randomania, where I'll post interesting stories that have happened to me, so I don't have to post them as obnoxiously long author's notes. If you can check it out, that would be amazing! 

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)