2•BAND-AID

I jump up in bed to the sounds of glass breaking as Sabrina standing by the window.

''Sabrina?'' I mumble quietly, standing up, I wince as I cut my foot and sit back down on my bed.

''What happened?'' I ask sleepily, Sabrina looks at me worried.

''It's a bat'' she says, and I look at the floor and gasp.

She slowly picks up a book and edges towards it, it's wing is broken.

She holds the book high above her head and closes her eyes, I do the same.

''Absit Omen'' she whispers and swings the book down with a thud.

Tuesday, October 28th

Three days until our sweet 16 and dark baptism, the day we sign away our lives.

Sabrina and I walk into the kitchen as Sabrina carries a box containing the bat from last night.

''Good morning, aunties, Ambrose'' Sabrina says chipperly while I groan a ''hello'' to everyone.

''Morning darlings, how did you sleep?'' aunt Hilda asks also chipper and I throw myself into my seat beside Ambrose, and by seat, I mean a garden bench we have at the table because there are not enough chairs.

''Tempestuously, by the sounds of it'' aunt Zelda says, lowering her paper to look at us.

''Now that you mention it, aunt Zelda, we did wake up once or twice, it's an exciting time'' Sabrina smiles cheerfully.

I scoff quietly and Ambrose lightly kicks my arm.

''In more ways than one'' Sabrina says holding her new necklace, courtesy of Harvey.

"Ooh" I tease and she kicks my foot.

Aunt Zelda sits her paper down, ''hm, I remember the week before my dark baptism, it felt like my real life were finally beginning, I barely slept'' she says fondly and I smile sarcastically, turning to Ambrose who rolls his eyes.

''Rabbit's feet, under your pillows tonight, you'll sleep like the dead'' aunt Hilda smiles, handing us breakfast.

I smile at her gratefully.

''Speaking of dead, a bat flew into our room last night, smashed through one of our windows'' Sabrina says sadly making Ambrose peak up from his book.

''Oh, want me to bring it back?'' he asks excitedly.

''No, Ambrose, we'll have none of your necromancy'' aunt Zelda says sternly, returning to her paper.

''Okay if we bury it in the garden?'' I ask quietly.

''Yes, as you wish, you can bury it in the pet cemetery by the sundial, there's room there'' aunt Hilda smiles handing Sabrina and I jars of green juice.

''Wait, what's this?'' Sabrina smiles and I smell it, scrunching my nose.

''Before it can be baptized, the temple of your body needs to be purified, cleansed of it's toxins'' aunt Zelda says dramatically, taking a long draw from her cigarette.