10• BIRTHMARK

I walk down the hall, following the sound of Roz and Susie talking loudly and i smile.

"Ivy! help us out" Susie laughs, handing me a list of book titles.

"Are these what i think they are?" i laugh and Roz holds them in the air, "if you think that it's the titles of all the books that Baxter High banned then yes, yes it is" she says proudly.

Sabrina and Harvey walk over to us smiling.

"Here's a list of books Baxter High doesn't want you to read!" Roz calls out, handing people flyers.

A girl walks over sheepishly and i hand her a flyer, smiling.

"You guys, when did you do this?" Sabrina laughs in awe, i shrug, smiling.

"Last night, i mean they're just books, you know, what are people so afraid of? that Principal Hawthorne's gonna-" Roz stops as she turns around, coming face to face with Hawthorne and i cringe, hiding my face with my sheet.

"Ladies, about your claims"' he says with his dull, monotone voice.

Sabrina steps forward, "you can't punish someone for handing out flyers, Principal Hawthorne," she says defensively.

He sighs.

"On the contrary, miss Spellman, i just wanted Miss Walker to know that i called the PTA and the school board about the bluest eye, they are reviewing the matter and will come back to me tomorrow with their thoughts...you're welcome, Miss Walker" he says expressionless, he looks at us judgingly before walking away.

"Did he just do something nice?" I ask and Harvey shrugs, "I think so".

***

I doodle on the back of my notebook as the teacher walks down my row slowly.

"By the autumn of 1805, the men of the Lewis and Clarke expedition were starving, desperate, and running out of time, just before them lay the continental divide," she tells us and i zone out.

I shade my small drawing of a tree as i think.

I wonder who the boy in the woods is?

he acted as if he knew who i was, maybe he goes to the Academy of Unseen Arts.

I draw a small bird on one of the branches, i feel someone looking at me and i lift my head, locking eyes with Sabrina.

'What's wrong?' i ask and she shakes her head, turning to face the front.

I feel someone else's eyes on me and i slowly turn, looking at Susie taking notes.

I furrow my brows confused and turn back around, my eyes flicker to the open door.

Standing in the corridor is a young girl wearing a yellow dress, her dark hair messy and matted with something, blood.

It seeps from her throat, drenching her and staining her dress, her skin so pale she almost looks transparent.

I flinch, throwing my pencil and the clatter echoes through the classroom.