18• BOYS TO TORMENT

I brush my hair behind my ears, stepping outside into the crisp, morning air.

"Sleep well, Prudence?" I fold my arms as she sits on the bench with a cup of coffee.

"Like the dead" she smiles at me with a knowing look and I roll my eyes.

"I was going over what you asked me and I still don't know what i believe when it comes to death. But i believe all life is precious, witch and mortal, even the life of someone who tried to kill me, what, 4 times?" I say half heartedly.

"Eternal life, which is what awaits me after the feast" she grins, brushing off my attempts to persuade her.

"Okay, don't say I didn't try" I shrug, walking away.

"Where are you going handmaiden?" She calls after me and I stop, turning back to her.

"Baxter High, to live my life as fully as possible and for as long as possible" I smile, cheerful for a change.

"The shepherd is meant to take care of the lamb" she points to herself.

"Then come with me" I shrug, rolling my eyes.

I'd pay to see Prudence hiding amongst mortals.

"And why would I do that?" She cocks her head.

I shrug, "boys, lots of mortal boys to torment, or seduce, or both" I smirk, knowing her tactics.

"Maybe you'll find the meaning of life at Baxter High" I tease and she waves me off.

"Oh, you had me at boys to torment" she grins.

***

"Guys, this is Prudence, she's our cousin who's visiting for thanksgiving" Sabrina smiles as we approach Harvey, Roz and Susie in the library.

"Yeah, but she won't be here for long" I say quietly, sitting beside Susie.

"Uh, Prudence this is my boyfriend Harvey, and my two best friends, Rosalind and Susie, Ivy's girlfriend" Sabrian smiles and I almost scream.

"Wait, what?" Harvey and Roz turn to us excitedly and I look up at Sabrina as she stares at me wide eyed, "oops".

"Uh, yeah, this happened" I chuckle.

"We didn't want to make it a big deal or anything" Susie admits and I take her hand.

"I'm so happy for you guys" Harvey smiles.

"Me too, you finally did it" Roz laughs, looking at Susie who goes pink.

"What?" I smile and Susie stammers.

"So, what are we talking about?" Sabrina saves her, sitting down and Susie nods to her.

"My ancestor Dorothea. She was an early settler in Greendale and was also a pirate who helped a group of women fleeing religious prosecution from Scotland" she says in amazement and I smile.

"A pirate? That so cool" I laugh and Prudence speaks up.

"Dorothea Putnam? We learned about her at my school. She was a true ally to those women, a hero to the marrow" she smiles at Susie who laughs, "so I'm discovering".