6. Scared of the Dark

Racing to school the next morning, I was almost positive I forgot something, like every morning. But my bag was on my back and I'd already left.

The ride was long and treacherous, but I managed to push for full speed. I had to.

Classes seemed to stretch on forever and I was miserable.

Yamaguchi made it better by being his usual self, but Tsukki counterattacked by putting his feet on the back of my chair and poking my back through the hole of the seat. How old is this kid?

Practice rolled around, and I could finally improve myself. What I had been looking forward to all day.

We did many drills, and each one I found myself lacking in.

It was disgusting. These people let me on their team with the impression that I'd better them, and I was actually slowing them down.

With every jump I took, a sharp pain stabbed me in my abdomen.

With every dive I executed, I could feel bruises forming.

Served until my arms went slack.

At this point, no matter how badly I wanted to continue, I needed a break.

I walked to the bathroom to catch my breath away from everyone else.

I wondered if anyone noticed, but before as I went to toss the ball it was significantly lower.

After that, I couldn't find the strength to lift my arm and simply dropped the serve mid-run.

My arm was numb, and useless.

Staring at my reflection made me want to scream.

How could I be so weak?

3rd pov:

"Is Ayana San alright? She was moving quite weird."

"What are you saying, Yamaguchi?" Daichi asked in hopes he wasn't the only one to notice.

"Her jumps weren't as high and she looked in pain afterward. And she didn't even finish her serve, the ball looked too heavy."

"She did serve the most, I'd say about 30 times. Each being a jump serve." Suga stated with worry in his eyes, his hand on his hip.

They could all see she was pushing too hard.

Hinata scoffed. "Maekara's fine, she was just going easy on us! Right?"

All eyes shifted when they heard the shuffling of feet coming from the short girl.

"Sorry to keep you guys waiting. Let's continue."

Kageyama jumped in front of her, "Maekara San! Please watch me and Hinata's quick first!"

She nodded with languid movements before dropping herself on the bench. The team sighed in relief for Kageyama's quick thinking.

He mostly wanted her to see the quick though.

Maekara hadn't realized that they kept her sitting for the next 30 minutes. When she decided to start again, her actions were interrupted by a certain captain.

"Practice is over! Good job today, go home and get some rest." She felt his eyes burn into her, but thought nothing of it.

As she was preparing to leave she noticed the captain leisurely making his way over, but was beat by a grey-haired setter.

He won this time.

"Ayana San, let me take you to get ice cream, please."

Eyeing his smile and kind expression, she couldn't help but be curious.