Part 5:worlds Apart

"Indeed,with hardship(will be)ease"

It's been a week since everything happened but in truth it felt like years.I never knew I was attached to Umar this way,never.Now everything reminds me of him,every single thing I sighed over this rice and beans I was forcing down because i lacked appetite.

Fighting the urge of calling him every single moment is a great task which is really exhausting.

So lost in thought I didn't realize someone sitting next to me till I was lightly tickled which got me chocking on my food.

I jumped from my seat trying so hard to evade this intruder and get a glass of water before I choked to death.After some gulps and my pharynx clear of any foreign material, I swung around to face my torturer which happened to be my brother Amir.

Well well well looks like you're finally back now,he smirked.I eyed him with eyes thin as slits,your unthoughtfullness is so unbelievably I seethed couldn't you see I was eating?what if I had choked?

Well you didn't was his reply as he reclined on the chair giving me scrutinizing look.What happened to you?Why were you so lost it thought when I came in?

I was just daydreaming as usual I said turning around so that he couldn't figure out I was lying.i started doing the dishes to evaded his questions which he thankfully stopped asking.

We chatted for a while about everything and nothing as he ate,why is your bestie avoiding me?i froze for a minute before replying with how would I know?and he's you bestie not mine.I can't have a male bestie joor not my style he retorted as he brought out his phone.I was done tidying up and proceeded to make a cup of chamomile tea before I changed my mind on hearing Amir say Ranka ya dade Squadron Leader as he answered a phone call.

Stepping out I met mama in the living room all dressed up,you changed your mind about going koh?she asked.By Allah mama it escaped my mind totally,fine by me she said making her way to the door.If you're up for it cook jollof rice for dinner or ask Mairo to do it,and bake your delish cinnamon rolls please Amir chipped in.

As they stepped out so that Amir could drop mama off at our cousins naming ceremony they bumped into umar who was trying to come in.After exchanging pleasantries he followed them.

My siblings were not around because they left for the ceremony early so the house was quite.To while away time I decided to get a head start on the cinnamon rolls.

I was heavily engrossed in rolling out the dough that I didn't notice someone open the kitchen door,it was I till i heard voices that I realized Umar and Amir we're back and were using the back door because I locked the front door.

With sweaty palms I tried to play it cool as I realized this was the first time we were meeting after our little misunderstanding.A very excited Amir picked me up and did a little happy dance around the room seeing the cinnamon rolls almost ready.

On a normal day I would enjoy it since I loved being carried,but since today was not a normal day I started shouting that he should drop me or I wouldn't finish his rolls which he did abruptly.

Umar and I were now facing each other,I gave him a brief once over before averting my gaze.He looks thinner I thought but still so handsome.

Sannu da aiki madam his voice broke my thoughts,I nodded as I rolled out my dough.Amir stared at us like aliens before he said I knew it,you people fell out again.

No we both said simultaneously,i raised my head to spare Umar a glance  and our eyes clashed,we held each other's gaze and in that brief moment our eyes exchanged more than our mouths would ever admit.I finally tore my eyes away as he gave me a lazy smile,so much for ignoring him the voice in my head snickered.

In kun gama se a mun magana said Amir as he entered the living room.He had always suspected our closeness and always teased us about it.

The atmosphere was tense as he leaned on the fridge right across me while I was cutting my rolls.For the first time in my life I was counting down seconds till he left the kitchen.

I miss my best friend he said in a low voice,me too I replied with a shrug.What happened he asked?life I guess was my short reply because I really wanted what ever this is to be over so he could leave.

He was quite for a while before he walked to my side and said,I'm standing right next to you but the feeling that your soul is very far away from here breaks me to pieces,you can't avoid me forever babe.Which ever path you take would always direct you back to me God-willing, with that he picked a piece of dough and left the kitchen.

Hope your weekend is turning out great.
I would really appreciate if you vote/comment/share.

Yours Amila💫