Chapter 4

Chapter Four

Tris

+++

I gasp in air as my eyes flutter open. Light pours into my eyes. I try to squint, but the light slowly fades away. Two figures hover over me, both wearing masks. The blurriness in my vision dissipates and I make out an overhead light shingling downward on me. The pattern on the ceiling becomes irregularly evident to me as my eyes focus in and out. My heart rate slows, and I look into the brown eyes of a man.

"Tris. Just lay back down. Everything is all right. Just relax."

I didn't realize I was propped up on my elbows. A muscular hand gently guides my head to the pillow beneath me. It smells of dust and a very faint smell of Tobias....

"Where am I?" My mouth moves without me telling it to.

"You are at the Hospital in the Bureau, Tris. You went through major surgery-"

"What happened?" I cut him off.

The doctor sighs. "Tris, you were shot. David was trying to kill you, but he missed. However, he struck your right lung, stomach, and arm. You are every lucky to be alive today Tris."

I remember now. Images of David holding me at gunpoint and blood fills my head. And my brother. Standing behind the shot body of David, coated in purple death serum, and blood trickling from his mouth.

"What about-" I wince as a needle enters my arm. I should be used to the pain, but for some reason it stings. "What about my brother, Caleb." I say weakly.

"Tris, your brother-"

The door behind him opens. Running footsteps approach and arms wrap around my weak body.

"Tris!" A high girl voice says. "It's me, Christina. Oh my gosh, Tris. Talk about hard core." She bends over, hold my hand and whispers into my ear. "I thought you were...... I just miss you Tris. I'm glad you're alive." Her hand gently leaves my hand as she moves.

This time, a different hand touches my forehead, and gently brushes my hair to the side. I smell his shampoo. Tobias.

"Tobias," I croak. My hands reach up and coil around his muscular chest. He wears a dark long sleeved t-shirt and black jeans. He leans close into me and kisses my cheek, then my lips.

"Tris. Thank God. I was worried-" He kisses me again, more passionately. "I was worried that you would - would have left me."

"I was." My voice sounds weak, as almost as I feel. "I was falling into darkness but then I heard you. Your voice. You were talking to me. You said that you were sorry... And that you needed me. It was distant but I still heard it. And it woke me up. I know how you feel when I woke you up from the simulation." My voice gives away. Tobias gently caresses my face and kisses my forehead.

"Did you hear anything else?" He whispers.

"No. I just heard you saying you missed me." I reply, pondering why he wanted to know.

"Good, because I said some stuff you shouldn't repeat in public," he smiles. I giggle and pat my hand against his chest. He leans down and kisses my lips again. "I love you Tris."

"I love you too." Then I remember. My question was never answered about my brother. "Tobias?"

"Hm?" He says as he stares in my eyes.

"What happened to Caleb? Where is he?" I ask.

His face darkens. Something isn't right.

"Tris- Caleb, Caleb is dead."

My stomach drops instantly. Tingling shoots through my nerves, covering my body. Tears well up in my eyes, and one slides down my cheek.

Caleb. Is. Dead. The only family member I had left, is gone. He saved me. He saved me. He saved me....