Epilogue | Year Four

Tris
+++

We called it the year of snow. Inches upon inches of snow covered the ground. The clouds were dark for two months straight, from December to January.

We used this opportunity to take Alena for her first snow journey.

Alena starts to walk now. She learned in the midst of a snowstorm, when we were locked in our house for a good two and a half days. At first, she used the fire place mantel for support, but then moved to the couch, and into my arms.

My little girl, who has my eyes and Tobias' face, stands up once we put her down onto the frozen and snowy grass of the Amity Orchard. Bushes are are coated with a thin layer of white snow.

Her purple jacket and grey beanie hides most of her body, but her rosy cheeks are visible against the white.

I silently stand there with my hands in my pockets and Tobias' arm around me. Alena stands still, with her mitten covered hands out near her sides. A brisk, cool breeze rustles in the bare tree tops of the orchard. Her blue eyes move back and forth, taking all the sounds and sights in.

Alena's feet move two steps forward towards the bare tree trunk, and she is suddenly on her face in the snow.

I urge forward, but Tobias stops me.

Let her figure it out, he says huskily. She will soon know what it is.

As if she could understand him, she puts her hand in the snow, which sticks to her mitten. A small shriek of joy leaks from Alena and she reaches her other hand to the snow.

Restored, I return back into Tobias' embrace, watching Alena play in the snow.

A small bird, a song sparrow, with light brown wings and a white belly, leaps onto one of the tree branches, cocking its head to the side. Alena turns her attention to the song bird and attempts to stand up, but falls on back onto the ground.

Another bird of the same kind, though larger, swoops from above, landing next to the smaller one. It sings a short melody, and inches closer to the smaller sparrow. The smaller sparrow sings and springs from the branch, wings outstretched, and dives behind the rows of trees. The other sparrow follows its path, chirping quietly in the crisp air.

My smile mixes with Tobias' as we stand together, with a light brown blanket over our shoulders. Alena walks into our embrace, and I haul her up in my arms, pressing her head into my chest, keeping her head warm. The sun begins to peek from behind the branches of the barren trees, illuminating the white world around us.

(A/N): One more year