Chapter 9

Chapter Nine

Tris

+++

I was just finishing unpacking in the ginormous closet in the master bedroom when Tobias comes home.

Turns out, where we spent the night last night was only a guest room. The real master bedroom was upstairs. A swirly metal staircase led up to the bedroom. I'm surprised Tobias could be up this high with his fear and all.

I hear the door shut, and Tobias dropping the keys on the counter. I hop out of the closet and walk half way down the stairs, placing my arms on the railing.

"So, how it go?" I ask. He looks a little upset and stressed, so I walk down the rest of the stairs, and walk towards him. I come up from behind him, and rub his back with my hands. His tense muscles relax a little, and he looks over his shoulder, giving me a kiss.

I continue to rub him, but he pulls away, then faces me. I place one hand on his chest and other on his waist.

"It was the most boring thing I've been through." He sighs, name kisses me quickly. "But I was thinking I could tell you over a picnic at Millennium Park. How does that sound?"

My eyes light up and a smile creeps on my face. "Let's do it!" I smile. He turns and runs into the kitchen.

"Let's catch a train, Dauntless style." He smirks. I run up to him and help pack for lunch.

+

Tobias jumps off the train first, rolling as he hits the ground, then pops to his feet on the last part of the roll. I toss him the picnic basket then jump off the train behind it. The air flows through my hair, propelling me to the ground. I land on my feet, and Tobias is there to help catch my balance. He helps me straighten my shirt then smiles, takes my hand, and leads me through the park.

I've been here only once before, and it was very brief before an attack from the Dauntless Traitors. Weird metal structures cover the grass area about twenty feet above the ground, and what looks like a metal rock with damaged chairs around it take up a small section of the park.

Tobias leads me to the center of the field. No one is here, or even in the area. We have the whole place to ourselves.

He opens the basket, and retrieves a blanket, then spreads it out on the grass. I sit down on one corner and he places the basket in the middle. Tobias crosses his legs and sits awkwardly on the other half of the blanket.

Tobias told me on the train all what happened during the Convergent meeting in the Hub. I feel sorry for Tobias, having to listen throughout that and actually stay awake.

We pull out the sandwiches we made, and munch on them quietly. Birds around us chirp and sing in the trees. It is cold out, but doable with some jackets and beanies. Most people would not want to have a picnic in March, but the Dauntless side of us doesn't care.

We don't talk much. We just look around at the nature, and breathe in the crisp spring air.

The sun shines down from above, making us a little warmer, being in direct sunlight; but it doesn't help very much.

I finish my sandwich, and crumple up the foil it was in, placing it in the basket. I then crawl across the blanket and half onto Tobias's lap.

"I'm cold," I say. "This probably wasn't the best idea." He smiles, then puts down his samd which and opens his arms. I cuddle in closer to him and press my cheek to his jacket.

His arms wrap around my body and he leans back, elbows soaking in the wet grass.

"But isn't it beautiful? All the snow is gone, and it reveals the beauty of nature. What it was hiding under that thick blanket of snow for so long."

I looks down at me and smirks. His bottom lip quivers and I reach up and kiss it. He kisses me back.

He lays flat on his back and I lay on top of him as he kisses me. His lips pull away and he smiles again.

"But it isn't as beautiful as you," he whispers.

I punch him in the arm.

"What was that for?" He laughs.

"Stop trying to kiss up. You're getting it anyways," I say, with annoyed expression.

He laughs then kisses me again.

I wish I could be in this moment forever. And that it would never end. But sometimes, we all get a wake up call from our dreams.