Epilogue | Year Five

Epilogue­ | Year Five

Tris

I stand on the roof of the Hancock building. Wind rips at my hair, one hundred stories above the streets. The buildings sulk silently in the distance in the night sky. Lights illuminate the streets below, and the airspace above the buildings. The tops of tongs on the Hancock building are lit with white light.

As I press my hands on the railing, I bend my head over the side. Down the street, I fairly make out the all glass Erudite headquarters, which is alive with light and people are bustling inside. It has recently been renovated and reopened as a public library and computer lab for all citizens of Chicago.

The white walls and glass windows remind me of when I surrendered myself to Jeanine and she tested my Divergence, trying to create a serum which could overpower Divergence. But those are merely faint memories now; something I will never have to worry about again.

A hand touches my side, and I pull my head back. Behind me stands Tobias, dressed in all black. His Abnegation short brown hair almost matches the darkness of his shirt, but the moonlight makes the difference visible.

Tobias is now second in command of the government. Surprisingly, he took the job, even though he refused the offer for years. What made him change was Johanna Reyes. Johanna, a former leader of Amity, stepped from the shadows, for she has disappeared since the Bureau incident, and volunteered to be the leader. After a vote from all of the citizens, Johanna was elected as leader, and visited Tobias personally, asking him to be her assistant. He declined at first, but after a while, he accepted.

The city is peaceful now. Projects are currently in progress, rebuilding destroyed buildings from the War and tearing down the walls surrounding both Chicago and the Fringe.

Life could not be better. No wars have occurred. Crime rates are extraordinarily low. Everyone is happy.

Alena talks now. She has my spirit and mindset, but Tobias's courage and heart. Her long blonde hair twirls in the wind when she runs up and down the hills of our neighborhood, just as in my dreams. Christina holds her now, at the end of the line, in her arms, waiting for us to return.

"Are you ready?" I ask. Tobias looks deathly nervous. His hands grasp tightly in mine as he glances over the edge.

"Tris," he whispers, "I don't think I can-"­­­­­

"Can do what? You are the Dauntless prodigy, Four. The man who conquered the Erudite and stopped the Allegiance War. You went through all of that, and embraced death more than once, and you are still afraid of heights?" My whisper causes a cloud of my breath to rise in the sky. My lips purse in the cold, and I embrace him, pressing my cool lips to his warm skin on his neck. "You can do this."

He pulls me away and looks me in the eyes. "Let's get it over with," he whispers with a sly smile.

Excitedly, I brush past him and walk towards the zip line harnesses, which lay in a pile on the ground. I grab two of the course, tough fabric of the slings, and run back towards Tobias. He clutches the edge of the roof, like he never will again and his gaze is locked down below. I place my hand on his right shoulder, and he turns around.

I take his hand into mine, and lead him to the giant prongs where a steel cable as thick as my wrist is attached. Tobias eyes it and follows the cable off the side of the building, down Lake Shore Drive and into the darkness of the city below. I attach one of the slings to a pulley that hangs from the steel cable.

"How far up are we?" Tobias asks nervously.

"Does it matter?" I ask as I attach the second sling.