chapter six ~ found

Nimueh, Caspian, Reepicheep, Trufflehunter, and a small group of the army's best fighters left at midday. Several of them stayed in the deepest part of the woods as they approached Beruna at sunset. The food stores were beginning to run dangerously low, so foraging and hunting were needed.

The rest carried on to the edge of the treeline, where they could see the Telmarines packing up their tools for the day. But this time, it seemed that several Telmarine guards were staying behind and were settling down for a night's watch.

"No doubt because of my little stunt the other day," Nimueh muttered.

"That shouldn't be a problem," Glenstorm replied.

"All the same, as tempting as it is, perhaps it would be best if we do as little damage as possible, just take all that we can carry and leave. If we draw too much attention to ourselves, they might try and track us back to the How."

"Of course...General." For that, Caspian earnt a stifled smile from Nimueh. "How long do you propose we wait?"

"About half an hour should do it. Glenstorm, tell your soldiers to line the edge of the forest, slowly and quietly. Then we can be sure that someone is within the Telmarines' blind spots." But before the Centaur spoke, the Satyrs and Minotaurs began to move.

"It seems they trust you, General," said Glenstorm.

Nimueh nodded. "Reepicheep, can you handle the guards?"

"With pleasure." He bowed low.

And so they waited for the blood-red sky to fade.

When they had laden themselves with as many of the Telmarines' tools and weapons as they could carry, the Narnian retreated back into the trees to meet the foraging party. Caspian suggested that they take the remainder of the night to rest. The sky was clear, the constellations piercing the navy cloak above, and no clouds threatened rain. The air was pleasantly cool, and so there were no qualms amongst the creatures about finding what comfortable ground they could and falling asleep under the stars.

Nimueh awoke a little before dawn the following morning. The distant clattering of the Telmarine workforce could be heard on a northerly breeze. Though she knew that the Telmarines would never enter the forest, she would've preferred it if their own party moved as soon as possible. She stood, hopping between the sleeping bodies to the outskirts of their small, makeshift camp.

"My Lady, are you alright?"

Nimueh turned to see that Caspian had followed a little way behind her. He spoke quietly, but she could hear the army stirring. "Yes, Sire. I think we should leave for the How as soon as possible."

"Of course. Are you sure everything is alright?"

"Yes," she nodded firmly. "But I should like to walk alone for a while. I won't stray far. I just have a strange feeling about these woods, one that I didn't have last night."

"Very well. I know you will keep yourself safe, so we will meet you back at the How."

Nimueh nodded and Caspian walked back to his army. Aslan's How was to the east and so she set her path in that direction.

It was true that she did feel strange. It was as if the deep reverence that she had always felt when in the presence of Aslan or indeed that of the Kings and Queen was awakening. From within her core, it softly stretched, and somehow pulled her body forwards, ever faster. Though the light of the sun was dim and filtered grey through the leaves, a kind of warm aura seemed to lay a hand on her skin.