chapter seven ~ raid

Later that day, a mist once more settled over the How, a raw cold clawing its way through the tunnels as Nimueh and the two Queens made their way to the Stone Table. A few Centaurs, Dwarves, and Minotaurs, along with Reepicheep and Trufflehunter, were already gathered in the chamber. Lucy lifted herself onto the Stone Table and Nimueh stood with Susan beneath the harrowing form of Glenstorm. The last to enter were Peter, Edmund, and Caspian, all looking solemn.

"A soldier from Miraz' army has been spotted at the edge of the forest," Peter announced.

Everyone knew what that meant. As soon as Miraz knew of their whereabouts, he would be sending his armies to finish off the extermination of the Old Narnians, once and for all.

"It's only a matter of time before the army gets here," he continued. "Which means that those same men won't be protecting his castle."

"What do you propose we do, Your Majesty?" Reepicheep asked.

Both Peter and Caspian began to speak at once, and Nimueh felt a small twinge of pity in her chest. It was easy to see how well Peter had fallen back into his role as leader, and Caspian, being the inexperienced figurehead of this rebellion, seemed desperate to prove that he could fit the role just as well. When the hall fell silent, Peter's eyes met hers, and she nodded, though knowing she wouldn't like what he was going to say next.

"If we are to have any hope of winning this war, we have to strike them before they strike us."

"But no one has ever taken Miraz' castle," Caspian interjected.

"There's always a first time."

"We will certainly have the element of surprise." The Red Dwarf who had travelled with the Pevensies from Cair Paravel stepped forward.

"I don't suppose there are any other places for us to hide," Nimueh muttered to herself.

"You were never one to run from a battle," Susan whispered back.

"I just mean until we have built up our army a little more and have access to more weapons. And besides, at the Battle of Beruna, we have far more trained soldiers, and after that, a stable monarchy, with treaties and civilized relations."

"General?" Peter called on her.

"It's... it's nothing, Your Majesty. It's just that..." Nimueh glanced at Susan, knowing that she had to choose a side, and whose side it would inevitably be. "It would definitely show that strength doesn't always lie in numbers. At the very least, it'll shake Miraz' confidence."

Susan nodded, adding, "If we dig in, we might even be able to hold them off indefinitely."

Trufflehunter shuffled a little. "I for one feel better underground."

"We can't just stay here and do nothing," Nimueh protested, though softly. "Yes, it's defensible to an extent. But this isn't a fortress. It's a tomb." Peter turned to her with a grateful expression.

"Besides, once the Telmarines have us surrounded, if they're smart, they'll just wait and starve us out," said Edmund.

"His Majesty's right." Nimueh was relieved to have a solid point to stand by.

"We could collect nuts." She wanted to admire the cheerful optimism of the little Red Squirrel, but Reepicheep didn't seem to share the same sentiment, scolding him.

"I think you know where I stand, Sire," the Mouse said.

Peter nodded at him briefly, then looked back at Nimueh. "If I get your troupes in, can you handle Miraz' guard?"