chapter fourteen ~ the parting of the ways

Nimueh awoke early that morning. The sun was just beginning to rise and the breeze coming through the open window was still a little cool.

Placing a soft kiss on Peter's forehead, she gently slid out of his grip and stood up. He stirred, groaning gently, but did not wake. She picked up the robe that she had so careless slung over the back of a chair and wrapped it around herself. With any luck, she would be able to make it back to her own chambers without being seen. Nimueh wasn't quite sure what people might think if rumour had it that she had left High King Peter's bed chambers in the early hours of the morning.

As her own room was at the other end of the corridor, on the side of the stairs coming up a couple of floors from the servant's quarters, there were a few young men and women bustling around outside the door.

"My Lady Firesong," a man bowed low. "We've brought your clothes for today and some hot water to bathe in. Would you like any assistance?"

"No. I prefer to prepare myself, but thank you."

"Is there anything we can do for you?" asked a serving girl.

"No, thank you. You may go."

The servants hurried back down the stone staircase and out of sight. It had taken Nimueh a few years to get used to people doing things for her during the Pevensies' reign, and even then she had never been entirely comfortable with it.

After washing in the basin of steaming water, Nimueh let her nightwear fall around her feet and stepped behind an intricately carved, wooden screen. A dusty, powder pink gown had been laid on the made bed. The sleeves were a fine chiffon-like fabric, slightly billowing, drawn together with a buttoned cuff at the wrist. It was embellished with dozens and dozens of applique flowers that covered the bodice and trailed and scattered over the many layers of skirt. The back had button and loop fastening all the way down her spine, but Nimueh had done up enough of Aliona's dresses that it had become second nature to her.

Once she had finished dressing, she moved over to the dressing table and began brushing out her curls. Nimueh pinned her hair up carefully into an elaborate plait, something else she had mastered in the service of Aliona, letting a few strands stay loose at the sides of her face.

She found a pair of pink pumps tucked under the bed, slipped them onto her feet and left the room. The silence of the castle was now gone, the air laced with servant chatter and the cheerful singing of birds through open windows.

Nimueh stepped through one of the doors just above the courtyard, a door she seemed to recall setting fire to at some point. There were a few guards around but no one else. She lifted her skirts and walked down the stone steps into the courtyard.

She hadn't realized just how long she had spent getting ready until she strode out of the shade into the blazing sun. Nimueh smiled up into the light, her eyes closed, not caring how ridiculous she might look to anyone watching.

Just like the night before, she didn't really know where she was going. The castle was new and unfamiliar, and the building work was so unlike anything she had seen before in Narnia. As she turned out under an archway, she spotted the newly crowned King and Aslan talking at the entrance to the castle grounds. They hadn't been in her sight long before Caspian nodded, bowed slightly and left. After he disappeared, Aslan turned His face towards Nimueh and smiled.

"My Lady, will you take a walk with me?"

"Of course."

Neither of them spoke until they had walked a good distance from the castle. Then, Aslan asked her something she did not expect.