chapter nine ~ time lapse

Nimueh couldn't believe what she was seeing. If she closed her eyes, she could still picture the lifeless body of the White Witch on the battlefield at Beruna. Yet there she stood, tall and haunting as she had been, encased in ice, blocking the carving of Aslan. And, to Nimueh's horror, her hand was reaching out into the open air.

Before her towering presence was the Black Dwarf, Nikabrik, and two other creatures who Nimueh came to recognise as a Hag and a Werewolf, both draped in dark rags. And in the centre of this cult circle stood Caspian, his gaze fixed upon the White Witch and his arm raised towards her.

Edmund and Trumpkin arrived just as Peter shouted to the Prince, and the four of them hurried into the chamber before anything else could happen. The Werewolf leapt onto the Stone Table and lunged forwards at Edmund. Peter broke away towards the Hag, Nimueh following round the Table towards Caspian.

The Hag, far more agile than Nimueh had expected, caught Peter's arm as he brought his sword down on her. The side of the blade clashed on the corner of the Table, and the sword fell to the ground, Peter along with it. This gave Nimueh enough time to draw her own blade and smack the hilt of it hard on the Hag's skull. The Hag lost her balance and Peter kicked her into a jagged rock at the side of the room.

Nimueh didn't see Lucy enter the cavern, only heard her cries of pain as Nikabrik twisted her arm behind her back. The Werewolf's howls and the Hag's high-pitched wails echoed wildly all around her. Seeing Peter get up and hurry towards Caspian, she looked around for some way to help. Lucy had fallen down under one of the stone arches, staring up as the Black Dwarf approached with a dagger.

As she circled the Stone Table, Trumpkin finished Nikabrik off before Nimueh could get to him, stabbing him in the back. Instead, Nimueh hauled Lucy to her feet and guided the shaking girl towards the exit tunnel.

"What's happening?" Susan called, running into the cavern.

"Someone managed to summon the White Witch and Caspian almost..." Nimueh trailed off, Peter catching her eye once more. He was standing in front of the icy pane, where Caspian had before, looking up at the Witch. Her first instinct was to yell at him to move but, as part of her was still apprehensive from his actions during the night, she waited to see what he would do.

The Witch said something to Peter, though Nimueh didn't hear it and, to her despair, Peter began to lower his sword.

"What is he doing?" she hissed under her breath. Glancing at Susan, Nimueh tread carefully around the Stone Table, afraid of what Peter might do next.

Then, quite suddenly, the tall woman inside the ice arched backwards. The ice creaked and cracked, then collapsed to reveal Edmund, sword still raised. "I know," he said. "You had it sorted."

Nimueh let out a short sigh, though it echoed, carrying harsher than she had expected. The two young men turned to look, Peter at her and Caspian at Susan, both with expressions of astonishment, perhaps at their own actions. Part of Nimueh knew that Peter would never consider bringing back the White Witch, even if it did mean defeating Miraz, but the part of her that was still in doubt carried her out of the chamber after Susan.

Neither of them spoke for a while, not yet finding the words to say. Susan slowed her walk as they came out into the open air. When they reached an open area used for training, she took up her bow and stabbed a few arrows into the dew-softened ground.

"I'm sure Caspian had no idea what he was doing. He doesn't really know the tyranny of the White Witch after all," Nimueh said, before Susan raised her bow to aim.

"I suppose," she replied, releasing the arrow. "Then I guess you shouldn't be too hard on Peter either. He's had a rough year."

"Really?" Nimueh bit the inside of her lip and sat down on the grass. "I had no idea."

"He's started getting into fights. He was in one just before we were pulled back into Narnia. It's been really hard for him to adjust from being the High King to being treated like a child."

"It reminds me of when I first met him." Nimueh laughed sadly as Susan laid down her weapons and came to sit next to her. "He told me that he didn't feel up to being King, and look what he became. The Narnians loved him, they loved you all. And they still do, even after all these years. I just wish he could believe in himself the way he used to."

"I see that your feelings haven't wavered," Susan said with a repressed smirk.

"Of course. I made a promise to my family. As I am the only one left, I must honour them more than ever."

"I'm so sorry. I didn't know." The Queen touched Nimueh's hand. "But that wasn't what I meant."

"Then I'm not sure what you meant." She was lying, so well in fact, that she had herself convinced.

But her doubts as to Peter's character were shrinking with each word Susan spoke of his year back in their world. By the time the Queen had finished, all Nimueh wanted was to rush back into the How and see Peter, not even speak to him, just be there in his company. She could talk of inappropriate timing and war all that she wanted, but there was no denying that their time together was limited, and it was foolish to waste it.

"And what about you? How has your time been?"

"My job is going perfectly well. The Elite that I serve is kind, and so very innocent. I almost wish that she didn't have to grow up into that cruel society. I probably won't be able to bear seeing her change." She plucked at the grass and ran it through her fingers. "And my house is lovelier than any I could have asked for."

"Go," Susan said.

Nimueh looked at her, shocked. "What?"

"Go and see Peter. You must forgive me, but you're an idiot. I know you want to see him, so go."

The two of them stood, and Nimueh could not help but embrace Susan. "I have missed you greatly too. You know that, don't you?"

"I do. It's good to see you again. Now go."

Nimueh smiled, grateful, and hurried back towards the How.