chapter fifteen ~ acceptance

Maria gasped, hauling herself into a sitting position, her hands curled tightly over the edge of the bathtub. She was dressed in her blue silk underdress again, her hair wrapped up in a bun, the weight of it pulling at her scalp. Wiping the water from her face, she stepped out of the bath and stripped off her clothes.

She could have fooled even herself, looking in the mirror to see a young woman, no fullness in her face, no redness in her eyes, no lustre in her hair. Everything she had been before now, everybody she had known in Narnia, had to be buried. Buried, but not forgotten.

Drying herself off, Maria undid her hair, brushed it out and retied it. There were clean uniforms in the cupboard; she threw her old one down the laundry chute. When she had redressed herself, Maria returned to Aliona's room and waited.

"Maria, are you there?" Aliona called out as she entered the room, however much time later. Maria wasn't sure.

She stood and bowed to the young girl. "My deepest apologies, my Lady, but I am afraid I cannot meet with those suiters you so kindly suggested for me."

"Why ever not?" Aliona looked worried.

"It looks as if I am as good as married after all." Sheepishly, she twisted the ring on her finger.

"But how can that be possible? I've only been gone a couple of hours."

Maria let out a short, sad laugh. "I can't quite believe it myself."

"Well, who are they? What are they like?" Hurrying over to the chaise lounge, Aliona sat them both down, and gave Maria a wide-eyed, expectant look, a smile slowly spreading across her lips. "Wait!" she said quickly. Delicately taking the bottom of Maria's veil between her fingertips, she lifted it from her face and threw it over the back of her head so that it fell as a wedding veil from the human world might. Maria was a little taken aback, but didn't mind so much, especially as Elites were used to doing as they pleased without having to ask permission. "Sorry, I just want to see your face when you tell me about them."

"He..." Maria almost didn't want to say. Would the pain be too much? Or had she really come to terms with their permanent separation? If not, perhaps this would help. "He's nothing like anyone you'll ever meet. He is fiercely brave and cares deeply for those closest to him. He has fought many a battle and has never been defeated. And his eyes, they are blue as the clear northern sky." She found herself smiling uncontrollably. "His name is Peter Pevensie."

"Peter? What a strange name!"

"Well, he isn't from around here."

"What does that even mean?"

Maria laughed, longer this time, a little less sad. "You wouldn't believe me if I told you."

"Why? Is it so unbelievable that someone could love you?"

"You'll call me crazy, have me sent away! Because the truth is far more incredible than any lie that I could possibly tell you."

"Say I don't believe you; it'll serve as a great story for you to entertain me with. And say I do; well, we'll see what happens then."

"I suppose, if you're willing to listen, I should probably tell you everything, from beginning to end."

Aliona leant forward intently, ready to soak up every word.

And so it was that Maria began the final story of Nimueh Firesong and her adventures in Narnia. For she would never tell that story again. All gateways to Narnia from that world were now closed, and they would remain so until the end of time.