4•DOUBTS

Harvey, Roz, Sabrina and I walk over to a bench with our lunch.

''The football players are a symptom, but the disease goes much deeper, into the bedrock of this school, so that's where we fight it, with a club for young women to meet and bolster each other, where we can discuss issues and problems we're facing and come up with proactive solutions'' i tell them.

All day i've brainstormed ways to help Susie, i'm going to protect her like i always try to do.

A club can do that when Sabrina and i leave, when i can't protect her anymore.

''You mean like a club to topple the white patriarchy?'' Roz asks blankly.

''Wait, what?'' Harvey asks confused.

''Exactly, to mobilize and protest if we need to get political, to fight when we need to fight, to defend each other, so Susie never feels alone, so none of us do'' Sabrina emphasises.

She was the first to hear my idea for a club, so she knows everything i do.

''Won't Hawthorne block this? he wouldn't let me start a daughters of the black panther club last year'' Roz deadpans, Sabrina and I smile.

''We may have a plan for getting this through without the interference of Hawthorne, we just need to do it fast'' Sabrina fills them in.

''How fast?'' Roz quirks her head, ''as soon as possible, but definitely by Friday'' i confirm, dreading the day we leave.

Roz smiles, ''just in time for your birthday'' she looks between us with a grin.

''Yes, but remember we're not making a big deal about that this year'' Sabrina tries, attempting to hide a smile.

''But it is a big deal, it's your sweet 16, on Halloween, there's an eclipse, i mean that kind of cosmic alignment demands a party...Harvey back me up'' Roz says excitedly.

Harvey shakes his head ''I've tried Roz, multiple times but-'' he laughs.

''But we have plans with our aunties, years-in-the-making plans, It's a super-secret Spellman family tradition that we're not really supposed to talk about, so let's just focus on our club'' I change the subject.

''What should we call it?'' Sabrina asks excitedly, ''the she-hawks?'' Roz suggests enthusiastically and we laugh.

***

I finally told the aunties about the curse the weird sisters cast, Sabrina speaks up from beside me at the island in the kitchen.

''Oh aunt Hilda, the weird sisters are horrible, everyone who goes to the Academy is snobby and horrible and racist'' she says irritated.

''Why on earth would they curse you, for no reason?'' aunt Hilda stresses.

''It doesn't matter now, i took Sabrina's half of the curse as well as mine, but don't worry, i washed it off me'' i say proudly.

''Well, we're gonna check that for sure'' aunt Hilda scoffs anxiously.

''They're jealous of you, you're the daughters of a high priest, who are they? nobodies. But that's precisely why you need familiars, to protect you from these sort of attacks'' Aunt Zelda says from behind us.