U a ola loko i ke aloha

Hawaii was Kaycee's happy place. She'd been to so many places in her short fifteen years on this planet- but out of all of them, Hawaii felt like a second home. She was relaxed there; time moved slower, no one cared who she was. She could just be.

Her sixteenth birthday trip was her mom's suggestion. She'd been working so much lately, and Laura thought she needed a few days off. It was only going to get busier from here on out, and somehow they'd manage to shave out enough time for a five day visit to their favorite island.

When presented with the gift, Kaycee freaked out a bit. Five days away from LA? She had so much going on. Her new merch was launching, she had new projects coming out, and she would be traveling to Boston days after. But Laura assured her that it would be fine.

"Kayc, you won't let us throw you a huge party. You need some time off. You can afford to take a break!" Laura assured, patting her daughter on the back.

She knew her Mom was right. She should be grateful- she was just told she'd be returning to her favorite place, and she could bring two of her friends. Her parents were amazing.

"You're right, Momma. Thank you. You and Dad are the best, I love you." She embraced her mother and father tightly, trying to reflect her gratitude. She knew they'd worked hard on trying to figure out when they could go. Her schedule was crazy, and she couldn't imagine it was easy trying to coordinate a trip like this.

That night she sat at the table with her brother and sister, sipping hot chocolate from her favorite Christmas mug. Sure, it was October, but who cares? Never too early to get in the holiday spirit.

"So, who are you taking?" Kylie interrupted her thoughts, stirring the contents of her mug. "You're having that party with the whole crew next weekend, but how are you going to choose?"

To be honest, Kaycee had no idea. She was ridiculously indecisive- and she didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. She could narrow it down to three, but weeding that last person out would be tough.

Just then, she had a recollection of a conversation with Bailey she had the day before. Matt asked her to assist his workshops..the same time as the trip. Well, that solves that problem, she thought to herself.

"Bailey is assisting Matt the same time as the trip, so I guess she can't come. T and Sean it is!" She said finally, her mouth full of marshmallows.

Devon and Kylie both looked at each other and rolled their eyes. Kaycee didn't miss the exchange.

"What?" She said, totally confused.

"As if Sean wouldn't be one of the two. Come on K, you don't spent more than 24 hours apart." Devon said, waving his spoon dramatically.

Kaycee blushed a deep crimson. He wasn't wrong. They were attached at the hip, more than usual lately. But her family didn't know the whole story.

"Not true! I was going to take Tahani and Bailey and make it a girls trip. But can't do that!" Kaycee got up and placed her mug into the dishwasher without waiting for a response, bidding both of her siblings good night. She had calls to make.

She FaceTimed Tahani first.

"ARE YOU KIDDING ME? YES, YES, A MILLION TIMES YES!" Kaycee couldn't help but giggle at her friend's reaction.

"MAMA AND PAPA RICE, I LOVE YOU!" She shouted, Kaycee having to bring the phone away from her face. She forgot how loud Tahani was when she was excited.

"We love you too, Tahani," she heard her Mom shout from down the hall, "tell your mother I'll call with the details tomorrow!"

Kaycee told Tahani she had to go and call Sean, earning her a look from her best friend. "Alright, tell Loverboy to prepare for whole lot of Kayhani for five days straight!"