Deep into the Mountain Sound

"Come on Sean, it'll be fun!" Kaycee was seated on her boyfriend's lap, cuddled up and watching an episode of Friends. They didn't have any classes today, no upcoming projects. They'd decided to take a few months off, just until after the holidays. Both had a busy year, and barely any time to rest.

"Kayc, nothing about that sounds even relatively fun," he answered his girlfriend. Girlfriend. It didn't matter how many times he'd said that word, it still made him giddy. He'd liked her for so long, thought he was destined to be in the friend zone forever. But then, she surprised him, like she always did, and said she felt the exact same way as he.

"Please? I've always wanted to go. Campfires, s'mores, stars. Doesn't that sound like fun?"

"Kaycee, we can do all of that in the backyard. Plus, you go out in the RV all the time."

"It's not the same as real camping, Shamu. Just me, you, a tent," she said flirtatiously, knowing Sean wouldn't be able to say no.

"Well when you put it that way," he answered her, nuzzling his face in her neck. She giggled when his breath tickled her skin.

"Yay!" She said excitedly, launching herself out of his lap and jumping up and down.

He laughed at her. She was so adorable, and to be honest, he was going to say yes no matter what. He'd never been able to deny her anything she wanted.

"Let's go to Buckhorn. I've heard the views are amazing. How about next weekend? I have to go shopping. We need a tent, food, we already have a grill in the camper we can take. Oh we'll need sleeping bags. I can finally break in those hiking sneakers Nike sent me!"

She was pacing, listing things off on her fingers. But Sean wasn't paying attention. All he noticed was how her eyes sparkled and her smile was practically reaching her eyebrows.

"Sean? Sean? Are you listening?" She was leaning over him now, hands on his knees.

"Sorry, you're cute when you ramble," she rolled his eyes at him.

"Focus! So next weekend? Do you have anything?"

Sean thought for a moment. "I'm shooting something with Tim on Friday morning but that's it. Do you want to come with me and we can leave from there? I think dad will let me take the truck."

"Yes! Perfect. Sean I'm so excited. This is going to be amazing." She launched herself at him, wrapping her arms around him again.

"Thank you," she said in a quiet voice, "I know you're not much of a camper, but it means a lot to me that you'd do this."

He kissed her quick. "I can't say no to you."

"Hmm, that's sweet," she said, straightening herself up and sauntering towards the kitchen, "I most definitely didn't know that."

The smirk on her face let him know that was a lie.
_______________________________

"Honey, it's not that we don't trust you. But there's a lot of crazies out there, we'd feel better if you weren't alone."

She was seated across from her mom and dad after telling them her and Sean's plans for the weekend. They've always been very relaxed when it came to the two of them, so she honestly didn't think they'd mind.

"It'll only be two nights. What could possibly happen in two nights?" She argued, trying to plead her case.

"It doesn't have to be one of us. What about Kylie? Or Devon? I'm sorry but if you want to go, there has to be an adult present."

Kaycee sighed. She guess a sibling chaperone wouldn't be that bad.

"Okay. I'll ask Kylie. Thanks, guys." She hugged both of her parents before heading up to her sister's room.