Compass points you anywhere, closer to me

Song inspo- Compass by Zella Day
____________________________

It had been a long time since the two of them had been in the same place at the same time. Sean had been traveling for months, but Kaycee couldn't blame him. He'd been offered so many amazing opportunities. Most recently, he'd done the choreography for Taylor Swift's newest tour. In a few months, he'd start up with Justin Timberlake again for his residency in Vegas. No matter how much she'd missed him, she knew he was living his dream.

She, however, was more content to stay back in LA and keep their studio running. They'd decided to take the plunge a year ago; he was 24 and she was only 23. However, they had the means and it had always been a goal of their's. They found a great warehouse building in Studio City, the perfect location. They'd been able to fill the schedule with choreographers they'd grown up with, as well as their friends. Sean's friends Julian and Josh taught there weekly, and Tahani taught whenever she was in town taking a break from Beyoncé's tour.

Kaycee had tried being a tour dancer for a few years. It wasn't that she hated it; but the constant travel and hours wore her body down and she just didn't enjoy it the way she thought she would. She still danced professionally, worked on projects and did choreography for artists of her own. But the thing she loved most was teaching.

Managing the studio wasn't a decision that came with an easy answer for her. She knew she could hire someone; she was in the process of interviews when she made up her mind. She'd met with 10 different people, all highly qualified, but something felt off.

She'd decided, then and there, that it had to be her. She'd just gotten off tour, and honestly, had no desire to go back. She'd been asked to choreograph for Meghan Trainor, someone who'd been a fan of her since day 1. The two had kept in contact after Kaycee appeared in her "All About That Bass" video way back in the day. And, Alessia Cara's team had emailed her about doing a music video for her new album. She'd have to turn both of those down if she went back out on tour.

"I'm not going back with Marshmello," she'd told Sean over their FaceTime that night.

He looked surprised, but not shocked.

"Why? I thought you loved it."

"I do. Well I did. It's just not quite what I thought it would be."

He understood. He'd never been a touring dancer himself, choosing to go the choreography path. But he'd seen many a dancer have a break down in the middle of rehearsals.

"I called him today. He was upset, but he understood. Said he'd keep me in the running for upcoming music videos."

"Hmm well that's good. Whatever makes you happy, you know I support you 100%."

She smiled at him through the phone. He looked exhausted, eyes heavy and purple bags hanging under them. She wished she could reach out and smooth the worry lines on his face.

"You're stressed. What's wrong?"

He knew she read him like a book. "I'm just tired. Between the rehearsals and the phone meetings about finishing up the studio and all the other projects, I just barely have time to eat."

"About that..." Kaycee started.

"What? Did you find someone to manage the place?"

She hesitated, and she knew it showed all over her face.

"I did. Me."

He didn't say anything, just stared at her. He definitely wasn't expecting that as an answer.