If truth is North, then I am true South

I feel like maybe I should start mentioning the songs that inspire the titles/the kind of story line? This one is South by Sleeping at Last...and I apologize in advance if it hits you right in the feels.
_______________________________

The Grand Canyon had always been on Kaycee's bucket list. Maybe not as high as Australia or Japan, but it was there. She appreciated natural beauty; the raw vision of nature and everything so pure on this earth.

She was ecstatic when her parents said they'd be taking the RV there at the beginning of the year. She loved camping, or "glamping" as her mom called it. Sure, she travelled a lot. Way more than the average fifteen year old, but she'd choose a few days in an RV with her family and her beloved dogs over a plane ride to another city just like her own any day.

"Can I bring Sean?" She asked over family dinner that night. She'd learned the Holts were coming with them, a family they'd been close with since the beginning of Kaycee's dance career. She and their daughters had danced together at the Rice's studio, and their moms were best friends. They tried to make it a point to do at least one trip together a year since Kaycee's schedule made it a bit impossible to see each other all the time.

"It's just, he's mentioned the Grand Canyon to me so many times. And he's trying to get more into directing and producing. He could shoot so much footage there," she continued, trying to convince her parents that it was a good idea. She and Sean were partners, and best friends. They had just finished shooting World of Dance, and he just wouldn't take a break. She figured this was the best way to force him.

Devon and Kylie both looked at each other over their plates and smirked. They knew her baby sister had a crush on the boy she spent so much time with, even if she didn't realize it yet. They loved to tease her about it, always asking how her 'little boyfriend' was doing, just to get a rise out of her. She'd blush deeply and change the subject, insisting her and Sean were just the best of friends.

"Sure, honey," Laura said finally, "let him know he's welcome as long as it's okay with Miya and Cheuk."

She knew it would be. They encouraged him to travel, always wanting him to see the world. He had so many great opportunities through his career and they'd never hold him back.

They had a rehearsal the next day for an upcoming project and she couldn't wait to ask him. She knew he'd be beyond excited. He recently got a new drone camera and was obsessed with filming anything and everything he could. The boy was good at literally everything. She'd come to realize there wasn't a thing he couldn't do extremely well.

"We're going to the Grand Canyon," she said on their break. They'd been rehearsing for a few hours, and Sean decided to cook them some lunch.

"That's so exciting, Kayc! I know you've been dying to go there," he answered, his back to her. He was currently flipping brie and apple grilled cheeses in a pan, Kaycee's favorite recipe of his. She twirled her hair on her finger, a nervous habit she'd picked up somewhere along the way. She didn't know why she was nervous, it was Sean. Sometimes she thought her best friend knew her better than he knew himself.

"Do you want to come?" She said back. He dropped the spatula and turned to her, eyes wide. "Are you serious?"

She laughed at his dramatic response. "Yeah! My parents have no issue with it as long as your parents are okay with it. The Holts are coming too."

"Okay with what?" They heard, turning as they realized Miya had entered the kitchen. She put her bag down and kissed her son's head, greeting Kaycee with a hug as well.

"The Rices invited me to the Grand Canyon. Is that okay?" He knew it would be. His parents always wanted him to take hold of every opportunity.

"That's very generous of them. Of course you can go. That sounds like quite the trip!" He hugged his mother and turned to Kaycee, instantly launching into an excited conversation.