12. Threatened

Nicky's POV

I've come to the unfortunate conclusion that nothing short of a bullet is going to prevent Agent Ryder Asshole Stevenson from following me and forcefully dragging me back to wherever he deems fit.

Too bad my aim with a gun sucks.

Too bad I don't have a gun . . . but I do know where to get one.

I'd like to say that we resolved some of our differences during the plane ride, but that would be a lie. Of course, something had changed. A sort of understanding between the two of us. That's not to say he stopped with the stupid nicknames and that I had completely given up trying to get away from him.

First chance I get, I'm gone. I've just got to be smarter about it and take my time.

I step out of the airport with Ryder close behind me and come to a dead stop in my tracks.

Agent Damien North is leaning up against a car right outside the airport. Waiting for us.

How in the hell did he get here before us?

Ryder puts his hand in the small of my back and pushes me forward to the car. He waves to Damien.

"Since you're so full of fun facts, tell me, how fast do airplanes travel?" He asks me as he stares at the look of utter confusion on my face.

"Eight-hundred eighty-five kilometers an hour. On average," I mutter in reply, barely aware I've even answered.

"I don't even care to know why you actually have an answer to that question." He holds open the door for me and I climb into the back seat. He gets into the passenger seat and Damien gets into the driver's seat.

Ryder turns around in his seat to look at me. "Now, what's the average a private jet travels at? Specifically, a Gulfstream."

"Nine-hundred eighty-two kilometers an hour." I narrow my eyes at him. "So Damien came here on a private jet? How is that possible?"

Ryder smiles back at me as he slides his sunglasses on over his eyes. "Damien's family comes from old money."

Damien shrugs. "I inherited everything after my parents passed. Only child."

"Now," Ryder starts. "I'd like to know why in flaming hell you thought it would be a great idea to take a plane to Scotland of all places."

"It was conveniently far away from you."

"Stupid as you may seem," He says and I feel my anger at being called stupid flare up. Any understanding we reached on the flight has gone up in flames. "You usually have some kind of plan before you do these things. As a matter of fact, you had hours to pick your destination."

"I'm losing brain cells the more I talk to you."

"That's not very nice."

"Neither is calling me stupid."

"If the shoe fits . . ."

"I'm going to strangle you."

"Then I'll be forced to arrest you for assaulting a federal agent. Shame."

"You can't arrest me if you're dead."

"Keep talking. Keep threatening me, I dare you," His tone is deadly and his jaw is clenched.

And I feel like pressing my luck.

"I will. I'm going-"

"I'm going to intervene before this goes too far and Ryder throws you out of the car. He's done that kind of thing before. Now, I'd like to know where I'm supposed to be heading because right now I'm just driving around passing time," Damien interrupts.