43. Death Threats and Apologies

Nicky's POV

Lillianna Marshal. Ryder's little sister.

I knew her before I ever met him. We'd been very good friends, but I hadn't seen her in years. Why? Because until very recently I had believed her to be dead . . . and that's kind of a long story.

I continue to stare at her.

She smiles mischievously back at me. "You look like you're seeing a ghost."

I can't help but smile back at her. "Pretty sure I am, Lillianna."

She rolls her eyes and scoffs at me. "Nicolette, you and I both know that if I was a ghost, I'd be haunting at least ten people's house's by now."

I can't argue with that. Nor would I want to.

Here's the thing about Lillianna (Lily) Marshal, she may only be Ryder's half-sister, but she's crazier and more mischievous than he'll ever be.

Devin Kessler also has an . . . interesting personality. So these two together is not the best idea in the world.

Everyone should be prepping for World War III at this point.

She turns away from me to glare down at Ryder's unconscious form.

"One week," She grumbles. "Seven days. One hundred and sixty-eight hours. Ten thousand and eighty minutes. Six hundred and four thousand and eight hundred seconds."

I wait for her to explain her statement, but she doesn't. "Excuse me?" I finally question.

She blows out an angry breath. "That's how long I had with my parents. One week of pure bliss where I was the center of attention." She continues to glare at Ryder. "Until this attention hog just had to go and get himself shot."

She shakes her head as she stares at him. "Completely selfish." She suddenly rolls her eyes and throws her hands in the air. "And he went and wasted one of his lives."

Devin rolls his eyes. "I'm sure he didn't do it purpose Lily."

She shrugs. "Doesn't matter." Her eyes suddenly get big like a light bulb's gone off in her mind. "I'll be right back," She announces before quickly walking out of the room.

I turn to Devin. "Where's she going?"

He shrugs and shakes his head. "I haven't the slightest idea."

I look back to Ryder, squeezing his hand slightly and brushing a strand hair from his face afterward. I feel tears start to fill my eyes at the thought of losing him. At the thought of him not waking up.

Devin comes up behind me and puts his hand on my shoulder. "He's going to wake up," He tells me, squeezing my shoulder in silent comfort.

"You can't be sure," I whisper.

Devin just shrugs. "Let's call it a hunch," He says as he eyes Lily as she comes walking back in the room. There's a large cardboard box in her hands and a devilish smile on her face.

I blow out a sigh. "This can't be good."

Lily's smile widens and she winks at me before turning the box over in her hands and dumping everything out on the floor at her feet.

Devin raises his eyebrows. "I thought that was for Everly's house."

Lily rolls her eyes before glaring at Ryder once again. "It was, until he derailed all my plans." She waves him off dismissively. "Besides, this is only one box. I have like twelve more stashed away."

She rubs her hands together gleefully and lets out an evil laugh. "I'll still be getting around to Ev's house. It'll just take a little longer."

She kneels down and starts digging through the pile of Halloween decorations at her feet.