Chapter II

Angelica dressed in a bubblegum pink gown with lace cuffs and called it a day. She was simply too lazy to put any real effort into her attire. As she stepped down her stairway into the Schuyler family common room, she heard the clacking of another set of heels towards her.
"Good morning, Angelica," Eliza said sweetly

"Morning, Betsey. How did you sleep?" Angelica drawled out

"Just fine sister, but I see you haven't. What's the matter, Angie?" She questioned

Angelica didn't want to tell Eliza about her dreams. First, she'd think she was insane. Second, they may just be her imagination. Third, if there's a man that Eliza is in love with in her dreams, then she should probably have fewer desserts before she sleeps. It's most likely her blood sugar is too high.

"Nothing's wrong, I'm completely fine. You, on the other hand, must get ready so we can go shopping!" Angelica tells her with excitement in her voice. Part of that excitement was forced, but Eliza didn't notice. Angelica didn't really have the time to eat because she woke up so late, so she just grabbed a piece of toast and out the door, she went with her sisters.

"I expect you ladies home before-" the girls' father started

"Sundown, we know." Eliza snapped back, whilst getting into the carriage. Betsey never was an early riser.

"Don't get smart with me, Elizabeth. Speak with respect, or don't speak at all. A man doesn't want a mouthy wife, he wants a quiet, calm wife. Now run along, before I change my mind." Father was the type of man to believe that women belonged in the kitchen and that they were housemaids. No more, no less. However, Angelica believed it was time to change that. Maybe instead of a man courting her, she could court the man. Maybe that man in her dream that Eliza liked could be hers? It was just a dream after all, so it wouldn't really kill her.

By now, the sisters were riding in the carriage, Eliza and Peggy were chatting amongst themselves, voices laced with excitement, and Angelica had her head in the clouds thinking about her role in today's America "This is a terrible male-dominated society. How I long to bring down the patriarchy from the inside-out. Alas, I am just a woman, and according to her father, I am supposedly "just a maid."To attempt to make a difference was like trying to milk a pigeon. Simply not possible. Maybe in another life," she thought to herself.

"What about you, Angie?" Peggy inquired.

"What, I wasn't paying attention."

Peggy and Eliza groaned

"You never pay attention to anything Angie. We were asking if you were going to try to find a suitor at the Winter's Ball," asked Eliza in exasperation.

Angelica's mind went right back to her dream of the good-looking man with the intelligent eyes. She knew he only existed in her wildest dreams, but before she could answer the carriage came to an abrupt stop.

"We've arrived, my dears." The chauffeur said.

"Goodness gracious, Albert, you couldn't have braked any harder?" Peggy said with annoyance.

"I apologize, Miss Schuyler. I will most certainly try to accommodate your needs." Albert said with evident sarcasm.

"Hilarious. You know Al, I like a man with a bit of, well, fire..." Peggy attempted to flirt, for the 8th time this week.

"Heaven's sake, Margarita! Leave that poor man alone, he IS married you know..." Angelica scolded her younger sister

"But how could he say no to a girl like me?" Peggy pouted and gave a sultry look to poor Albert.

"It's alright m'lady. I will be back soon. Same time as always? 1 hour past sundown, and play the old "there was dreadful traffic" trick?" Albert smirked as he said our common procedure.