Chapter III

Angelica went downstairs to the kitchen to get a late night snack. Dreaming made her hungry, then again, almost everything made her hungry. Any excuse to eat food. As she opened the pantry she is startled by a voice that belonged to the youngest Schuyler sister, Peggy.

"What are you doing, Angelica?"

"Jesus, Peggy! Will you stop sneaking up on me like that?"

"I would say I'm sorry but I'm not. So what are you doing down here?" Peggy inquired

"I'm getting a snack. I had another dream, and they keep getting worse. So, I decided food was the answer to my problems." Angelica explained

"You're still having them? The ball is tomorrow you know...maybe this IS some kind of message?" Peggy said

"Peggy, you've always had a powerful imagination. That's ridiculous. Honestly, a premonition? It sounds too good to be true..."

Peggy was a little offended by what her older sister, but she brushed it off as always.

"Angelica, all I'm saying is that it's odd for you to have these dreams right before the ball and expect them to be just dreams. Don't you read? In most books, dreams are premonitions of the future!" Peggy was trying to convince her sister, but she wasn't having it.

"Peggy, life isn't a storybook. These aren't premonitions, and I truly think you need to get your head out of the clouds and realize that what you are saying only happens in fairytales! Honestly, you can be so immature sometimes..." Angelica snapped at Peggy. She wasn't trying to be mean, but it was around 2-3 in the morning.

Now, Peggy was holding back tears.

"You know what? Fine. I was only trying to help. You asked my opinion, you didn't like the answer. That's not my problem. So, whatever happens to you, you deserve it because refuse to listen to reason. I'm tired of everyone walking all over me. Goodnight, sister." Peggy gritted her teeth as she told Angelica the truth. After all, it was never "And Angelica" or "And Eliza" Peggy was always the add-on that no one listened to and she was tired of it.

As an angry Peggy trudged upstairs, Angelica decided to stay downstairs. She felt bad about what she said to her sister and she would apologize to her in the morning. Until then, she would eat her snack and take a nap on her velvet futon.

-

-

-

-

-

Angelica found herself sitting in a room with a desk, a lamp, and papers.

"A study?" She thought to herself

A man with bags under his eyes and his hair down with knots. He looked to be in terrible condition and he looked more like a corpse than a person. Then, Angelica recognizes him.

"Intelligent eyes in a hunger-panged frame..."

Three knocks were heard against the door, one getting softer after the other. He seemed to not notice at first because he was falling asleep at his desk. But after the next three knocks, he snapped out of his trance and opened the door to a woman clad in red with pouty lips painted red. She was one of the most beautiful women Angelica had ever seen. Long, brown curls that stopped at her waist and dark, toffee eyes that were dull and lacked something.

Happiness

"Sir? My name is Maria Reynolds. I-I'm sorry to bother you at such a late time, b-but I don't have anywhere to go. They say you're a man of honor so I hoped you could help me. I have nowhere else to turn. I'm all alone..." Maria said with emotion that was impossible to fake.