8- Meet The First Time We Said Goodbye

After a few minutes, we both were all dried up and ready to head to the house. Niall said he wanted to show me another place on the way back so we rushed to leave the brook as fast as we could. The lads were probably awake already and I didn’t want any of them to notice my absence. I watched him get dressed and I wasn’t sure if I enjoyed that view better or the one of the amazing nature surrounding us. I didn’t want to even think about the fact that those were my last hours in South America.

The horses walked us through a different way than the one we used to get there. Niall pointed to the stuff he considered I should pay attention to, like a view of a very very old and big tree to our left. He said it was his great grandfather the one who planted it on his first day in South America and, a few years later, he ended up buying those lands to turn them into their family farm, before they started the cars company. His father’s family came to Argentina during the World War One but he told me it was a long story that he would tell me some other time.

Some other time. I’ve lost my focus on the tour he was giving me at the mention of that sentence. I didn’t know if there would be some other time of us together and that thought killed me. How would that work? I was leaving later that day and there was no excuse to keep in touch with him. How could I manage to see him again without having to tell his whole family what our relationship was? I knew Veronica could make things easier but I was sure that secretly dating The President’s Son would be no easy task for anyone.

“So my grandmother said it would be easier to keep things that way, you know?” his sentence found me completely lost on my own thoughts, “You weren’t paying attention, were you?” he laughed innocently.

“I’m sorry,” I stuttered.

“It’s okay. I know I get boring most of the time. Sorry about that,” he seemed ashamed.

“Don’t be,” I hurried the horse to catch Niall’s pace, “I am actually enjoying this. I was just thinking about how bad it is that we have to leave today.”

“I know,” he sighed and silence took over for a little while, “It happened so fast, didn’t it?”

“It did,” I smiled to him and he smiled back. I could never get used to how beautiful he was when he smiled. He wasn’t trying to cover his teeth every time he did anymore, that had to mean he was starting to feel more comfortable around me and I liked it, “But we still have a few hours left so let’s not think about the ugly parts,” I said, more to myself.

“You are right,” he turned to look at the uncovered fields in front of us, “Look, there,” he pointed to our right, “That’s my uncle’s house.”

There was an even bigger house a few kilometers away from us. It was a more modern architecture and the only thing separating the yards were a line of small trees, “How big is this place?” I thought out loud.

“Too big,” he sighed again, “Uncle James is the VP and also our neighbor,” he laughed, “But we never see each other. When me and my cousins were younger, we used to be together all the time but then his parents got divorced so they moved out.”

“He lives alone in that big house?”

“No, he got married again and has new children now but they are too young. Hannah babysits them sometimes,” he explained, “My mom made someone plant those trees. She said it gave us a little more privacy but that’s a lie, anyone can walk through them.”

I had no idea of who that man was yet but I have to admit that I had a hunch about him from the start. It wasn’t a good one but I never in my life would have guessed what that man was capable of doing. I’ve never would have thought of the things he’d eventually do to us. The damage he would cause. The hate I would learn to feel. But once again, I’m getting way ahead in time.