SCENE 4: TANIKA'S BEDROOM

(TANIKA bursts in, angry and upset, and starts pacing around the room.)

TANIKA

How could he? I've been an obedient apprentice. I did everything he said for years! Years of torturous training, of wearing some skimpy outfit, of praying to a snake. A snake! All just so appease him. This is what I get? A mission designed to kill me? He didn't think for one second how it could've affected me. He didn't even care!

(TANIKA stops dead in her tracks, realising what she had said.)

TANIKA

He didn't care.

(Suddenly, ECHO and MADISON burst through the door, worried sick. They quickly come close, comforting her.)

ECHO

Tanika!

MADISON

We heard what happened. Are you okay?

TANIKA

No, I'm not okay!

(They sit down.)

TANIKA

I've been so good to him, guys; I've been so well behaved. I followed all of his rules, and he didn't care. He only cares when I do something wrong. I don't know what to do anymore, I can't win.

(She pauses.)

TANIKA

And now, he's gonna come back here, grab me by the arm and drag me to the punishment room. I yelled at him, guys, I am done for.

(There is a long pause. MADISON looks at ECHO, unsure. He nods, nervous but encouragingly.)

MADISON

Not necessarily.

(MADISON slides TANIKA a folded piece of paper. She slowly opens it, while MADISON continues.)

MADISON

I know you're really hesitant, but it's now or never. This is the perfect opportunity. 

(After another long pause, TANIKA sets the paper aside, determination on her face.)

TANIKA

If you're suggesting what I think you're suggesting, then you better have a good plan.

MADISON

We do! It's simple. The recital is in a couple days. You suck up to Hayden for a few more days and perform. While you're doing that, Echo and I are gonna get everyone out. 

TANIKA

Everyone? That's insane!

MADISON

We know, but everyone's gonna get put through hell if we get out. Look, you just worry about dancing, and we'll worry about everyone else. 

TANIKA

But how do I get out?

ECHO

After the performance, quietly slip out to the washroom. The masters are so busy with the recital, so they probably won't notice you're gone. After that, make a run for it. Go through the vents and off the roof, the guards are off duty during the show so you'll be fine. Just don't get caught by a camera or a turret.

TANIKA

You think it'll work?

MADISON

It's the closest thing we got to a solid plan. 

ECHO

So? Are we really doing this?

TANIKA

You know what? Yeah/ Fuck yeah! Let's do it!

MADISON

Alright. You stay here and prepare for the punishment room. Echo, come on!!

(MADISON and ECHO exit.)