Chapter Five.

Chapter Five

I wake up in the morning to the smell of bacon. I immediately get out of bed, leaving Jenna to sleep. I walk downstairs, following the wonderful aroma. Brian is probably cooking because I'm almost positive that my parents are both at work. Sure enough as I step in the kitchen, I see Brian in front of the stove making breakfast.

"Wow, what is a man doing in a woman's natural habitat?" I joke, walking straight for the fridge. I pull out the almost empty carton of orange juice and grab a glass from one of the cabinets. "Seriously though, why are you cooking?"

Brian chuckles. "I saw that you had a friend over, so I was just taking advantage of the situation. You know, maybe that way you can make some of your own friends and leave mine alone," he states.

I roll my eyes, emptying the rest of the carton's contents into the glass. "Well, could you at least put a shirt on? Nobody wants to see that," I snap.

He looks down at his shirtless chest and smiles. "Like I said, I'm taking advantage of the situation."

Brian acts like I've completely ruined his life because I've hooked up with a few of his friends. I tell myself that I can stop at any time, but I'm not sure that's entirely true. How can I go from sleeping around to actually being in a committed relationship? I don't even know how to be a friend, or even a girlfriend for that matter.

I sit down at the breakfast bar and sip my orange juice, hating each gulp. Almost every morning, I drink orange juice and I don't have a clue why; I hate orange juice. I always crave orange juice, but then when I drink it, it's utterly disgusting. And every time I drink orange juice, I always ponder the same thing; why in the hell do I drink orange juice, if I hate it so much?

I'm fucked up.

"Yes, you are," Brian comments.

Did I say that out loud?

"Yeah," he answers. "Are you half-sleeping, or something?"

"We're out of orange juice, you should put it on the grocery list for mom," I tell him.

"Are you high?" he asks, laughing.

I shake my head, gulping down more orange juice, cringing at the bitter, pulpy taste. "So what are you doing today?"

"I have a game at five and then we're going to Fireman's Park for the victory barbecue," Brian informs me.

I giggle to myself. My brother's cocky for sure. They haven't even won yet and they already have the victory dinner planned.

"Brittany, I hope you don't mind, but I used that extra toothbrush in your bathroom," Jenna's voice rings from the stairs as she gets closer, finding me in the kitchen. She stops wide eye when she sees Brian flipping bacon and scrambling eggs over the stove. Jenna quickly tugs at the bottom of my old jersey that some footballer gave me; I let her wear it to sleep. "Sorry, I couldn't find my pants," she whispers to me.

"We have a cleaning lady that comes in every Saturday morning, they're probably in the wash, if you left them on the floor," I tell her.

Brian looks over his shoulder, grinning. "Green toothbrush?"

Jenna nods slowly.

"That was mine. Me and Brittany have to share a bathroom." He chuckles, giving Jenna this mortified expression. "Don't worry, I don't mind sharing."