4. Comatose

Frantic doctors were running all over the hospitals as the injured kept piling through the doors. Barry came strolling through on a gurney, being rushed to the nearest hospital room. "What the hell happened to him?" a doctor ran by.

"He was struck by lightning." a medic said.

"How is he still alive?" the other medic questioned.

It was a mystery to all. The boy didn't have a heartbeat as he was being placed on the table. Nurses were preparing the defibrillator when a panicked Iris came bursting through the doors. A nurse tried stopping her and moving her outside of the room, but it only pushed Iris to fight to get to Barry. Tears streamed down her face as she screamed for him to wake up. Eventually, she gave up and went into the hall. Joe came running in to comfort his daughter, asking what happened.

"I got a call saying Barry was found in his lab. They said he got struck by lightning. I don't..." Once again, Iris broke down in sobs.

Joe hugged her tightly before speaking. "It's gonna be alright. Everything will be alright. Where's your sister? Did you call her?"

"I was on the phone with her earlier. I tried calling back but she didn't answer." Other voices filled the hallway, overpowering the conversation. More medics came running in with another gurney. A different doctor asked what happened, checking over the clipboard that held all of the reliable information.

"This one was found at the scene. Possible concussion. Her heartbeat was steady when we arrived, but it seemed faint. I don't see how this one survived the explosion." One of the medics said.

Iris and Joe pushed themselves against the wall to make way for the injured, catching a glimpse at the newest patient. Iris almost collapsed to the floor when she saw her sister lying there, along with Joe. In a trance, the two's feet picked up pace as they followed the unconscious girl. Nurses rushed around, hooking up the IV to Brea, along with other machinery.

"That's my daughter in there. THAT'S MY DAUGHTER." Joe yelled to nurses, who were trying to stop him from moving any further.

"Sir, you need to calm down. I promise you we will do everything we can. Once we get her stabilized, you will be allowed to see her. For now, wait here." The nurse said to him. And that they did. After getting Barry and Brea stabilized, Joe sat in the hospital for three weeks. He was afraid that if he moved, something would go wrong and he'd blame himself for not being there. Occasionally, Iris would join him and they'd rotate between rooms. This night, he was watching over Barry.

Iris left Brea's room to check on her father, seeing him nod off, but resisting sleep. "Dad, it's been three weeks, You barely eat or sleep. You should probably go home at some point." she said, handing him a cup.

He gladly accepted, greeting his oldest. "I'll go home when Barry does. When they both are able to go home. Why did you leave your sister?"

"I'm sure she'll be okay for a few minutes. I wanted to check on you." The monitor rapidly began to beep. With a grunt, Barry shook violently in his bed. Iris went to hold him down while Joe yelled for help. The head doctor was confused on the matter of how a seizure could be possible when there wasn't a heart rhythm. Joe watched from the tiny window as the operation began, when another voice appeared in the hallway.

"They can't save him. But I can." A man in a wheelchair said.

"I know who you are. You're that scientist that Barry's obsessed with, the one who blew a whole in the city." Joe admitted.

"Harrison Wells." the man introduced." And interestingly enough, my facility is the very place I would like to take him." Joe instantly refused the offer. "I'm not gonna try and convince you with promises, but, Detective, give me a chance. "

"I think we already know what you're capable of, Doctor. You hurt a lot of people that night." Joe said.

"So those doctors in there, they're good enough? The best in the city, the best in the country. Look at them. They have no clue what's going on. They're baffled, and the reason for that is what's happening inside Barry is a mystery, and they don't have the tools to solve it."

Joe gave Wells permission to transport Barry to S.T.A.R Labs after being convinced that the lab had the proper tools and elements to save Barry's life. A scream was heard from around the hallway and Joe recognized it to be Iris. Alert, he ran to Brea's room and heard the familiar flatline noise. Harrison Wells followed behind to see what was going on. There he saw Brea West, an unfamiliar, coding the same way Barry was. He overheard a doctor say that Brea's blood was unusually beginning to clot and it was if as though her brain somehow triggered the current seizure. She shouldn't even be alive at this point. Wells' interest peaked at his possible new lab rat. He knew that she was entirely different from Barry, but couldn't put his finger on it.

Joe eventually noticed the paralyzed gentleman. "Can you save her, too?"

Although he was tempted, Dr. Wells only had one person in mind. "I'm sorry, Detective, but I came only in regards to Barry." This only angered the father.

"You did this to her! My baby girl! They found her in front of your property that night, barely able to breathe on her own. You said it yourself, these doctors don't know what's going on. Every week, they come back with brain scans, saying different types of things that they can't explain. So help me God, if something happens to her, that's another victim on your conscience."

Dr. Wells fought back the urge to deny the request once again, but guilt weighed heavy as he remembered all of the people that were killed the night of the particle accelerator explosion. Many people are shunned this man for what he has done and knowing that he had to save not one but two lives would hopefully regain the respect that he once held in the city.

He took off glasses and rubbed his eyes. With a sigh, he said. "Fine. I'll take her in, too. I promise, Detective, we'll do everything we can to help them at S.T.A.R Labs." And the long months of many tests began.