Chapter 16

Cory was showing how to aim the pistols issued to everyone in the area. The report of the gun made Captain Slei jump as he saw a small hole appear in the target. It was then he noticed that the other officers had their hearing protected. He quickly put in his earplugs before the gun was fired again. He was just in time as Cory squeezed the trigger again and the shot rang out. Once more a small hole appeared in the front of the target.                                                                                                                               "Hard to believe something that small would hurt anything." Slei said                                                             "OK, let's go around back and take a look." Cory replied setting down the gun "Everybody come this way."                                                                                                                                                                                   Taking them behind the target he heard exclamations of surprise when they saw the exit holes. Some got up close to look.                                                                                                                                                        "As you can see little hole in front but a larger one in back." Cory said."Let's go back and you can try."    

 Back at the firing line Cory showed them how to load the weapons and ready them for firing. Next he showed them the proper stance and how to aim. After the hour was up all the officers had been well trained with the advice to practice at least an hour a day until the attack was ready to launch. Just as Cory was going to leave Slei inquired about the archery range. He was curious about the simple weapon and its possible effectiveness against the Ruchkitay. Cory took him over to the range and demonstrated how to use the bow. Slei took the weapon and asked Cory for training with the bow.

 "On my next visit I'll be happy to train you in its use, however, I can show you the basics in a few minutes now" Cory told him   "That would be most gracious of you." Slei said

"Not at all," Cory replied "It won't take long."

  Cory showed Slei the correct stance and how to aim along the arrows shaft with the feathers properly aligned. After about 10 minutes Slei had it down.

 "As with the pistol, if you want to get better you'll need to practice daily for at least an hour." Cory instructed

  "Alright, I can find the time for this." Slei replied "This is kind of fun."

"Now its fun," Cory told him "You'll find out how useful it is when we're fighting."

  "Of that, I have no doubt." Slei stated "Thank you for your time today, but T'ilvesh wants to leave for the cruiser soon, so I'll not delay you any longer."

  Cory and the Captain left the target range to report back to the Commander. Crossing the passageway they ran into Shoure and Chuff, who wanted to talk to Cory.

   "I'll leave you to talk." Slei said as he went to talk to T'ilvesh before the Commander headed back to the cruiser.

  The three saluted as the Captain walked off.

  "What do you want?" Cory asked "The Commander wants to leave now. I  have to leave with him. Besides, Krystal is waiting as well." He smiled thinking about her.

  "We wanted to thank you for what you've done for us." Chuff started.

  "We also would like to join your team." Shoure finished.

  "Don't you already have your own squads?" Cory asked them.

  "Not yet," Chuff answered as they accompanied Cory into the conference room "We were hoping to get assigned to the Commanders cruiser before he went to your world, but he left too quickly to receive the papers."

Recruit: Book One of the Universal Conflict ( Under Constant Editing)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara